DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not finding anything using search (as usual), but is it wise to bypass the radiator cooler for the transmission cooler lines? My old rad sprung a leak at some point and compromised my transmission to some degree. Was thinking the stock cooler may be enough but...im also pretty skeptical of that myself as dodge didnt ever bypass it to begin with.

TIA

·
Registered
14,649 Posts
An external cooler will work as long as it has the same or more cooling capacity as the radiator. The OEM design might made use of an existing cooler (radiator) - hence less components on the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats what i was wondering...because it runs through the radiator, then the external cooler (at least from what im aware of, all cars have the external cooler). Just trying to see if i can source a couple NOS parts when i put my car back together.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Get yourself a sizable Cooler man. Helps in the long run. Here is what I run on the Eagle. Pulled it off a Big truck, flushed it well. I have never seen Transmission Temps (via sensor on Output line before Coolers) 175 F and that was in the summer dogging on it. Fluid stays cheery red and shifts nice. I should note I still have it running through the Radiator first then cooler. Never had any leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worked in a transmission shop for over 15 years, and have been to many transmission schools, so feel qualified to give quality answer to your question.. Fluid to fluid (internal radiator cooler) cooling will give approximately 8-10 times more cooling then air to fluid(external cooler). I would highly suggest getting new radiator if necessary. Most times a new radiator isn't much more expensive then a cooler. An external cooler added, while still using the original is the best set up if cooling is an issue, but if used as an everyday driver under normal conditions not necessary. Do you live in high heat climate, pull trailer, drive like a teenager(heavy foot), etc. I've seem many hot rodders bypass the radiator and install an external cooler thinking it was enough, melt their transmissions. I've also seen many HIGH performance cars use the radiator with no external cooler, and no leaks, never have a problem. Many Dodge trucks used to hot shot heavy loads tried external coolers as these were bad about plugging coolers when their weak transmissions failed. The results were disastrous as their weak transmissions melted that much quicker. We had a flush machine that could unplug the cooler . It was pretty cool, had a screen that you could see what was being flushed out, on extreme jobs sometimes had to clean the screen several times to flush fully. We would them remove the cooler hose and drill out then restrictive check valve increasing flow exponentially. I retired from mechanicing full time several years ago and don't remember if the intrepid uses the goofy check valve, but if it does and you want to increase cooling, that would be the first step, to remove check valve. Hope this was helpful, just remember if your going to bypass the radiator, you need an external cooler 8 times the size of the internal one to get the same cooling.

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
Great first post, Dude!

I realize that the thermal capacity of water is hugely greater that the thermal capacity of air. The fact that the temperature of the liquid doing the cooling is at around 220°F vs. the approx. 85°C of the air of the external cooler would greatly reduce the water's advantage, but you make the case that the water is still much more effective even though it is significantly hotter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Few more points I didn't think of but your last post reminded me. As EagleESI pointed out, when installing a auxillary cooler, you want fluid to flow through radiator first. Brings temp down close to engine temp, then auxilllary cooler brings temp down further. 2nd Engines warm up faster then transmission, so having in radiator cooler also helps bring trans up to temp faster and warm trans works better then cold trans. Not much of a problem in hotter climates, but helpful in cold climates. Just some info your post made me think of and I like to hear myself rattle.😁

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the information. Thanks guys. Was just seeing if it was even an option to bypass the rad cooler. In the process of rebuilding the front end of my intrepid right now, so I’ll just opt for what the factory gave me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts