DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was discussed a whole bunch a while back, and I've finally done it. The little side project I've been working on during the puttstick install is adding a cabin air filter. Its still sitting on a bench with the epoxy curing all the way, but Friday after work it'll take 15 minutes to pop in and button back up. I'll get pictures of the finished product for you guys up then too.

The process I used was pretty simple. I took out the black plastic piece with the metal mesh on it that covers up the opening under the cowl that then leads to the intake for the HVAC system. I took that with me to Advance Auto and picked through every box of cabin air filter they had and happened to find something almost perfect. It was a box that had two filters that were just about the right size for each half of our opening.

Then I went to the hardware store and picked through tons of crap, finally finding exactly what I'd hoped for. I found a ceiling tile frame piece made of plastic that was again almost exactly the right size. I then used an 8' piece of that for less than 4 bucks and cut it up to build my housing for the air filters. I also trimmed up some excess from the air filters to make the top and bottom surface flush with the actual filter media to make it fit perfectly in my frame, then plastic epoxied it all together. I thought about making it easier to change the filters, but decided it was easier just to epoxy the end frame pieces on and use a razor to cut them off for a filter change down the road.

This got bumped up my to do list a bunch because I wanted to get it done before doing my EVAP replacement. I don't know if it'll make a difference at all, but I'm hoping that by actually filtering the incoming air I can make my new EVAP survive a bit better.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went to mount it and one corner didn't clear, so I had to trim that. No problem, just another small step. Then I figured out when trying to put it back on the car that with the frame keeping the peice rigidly flat it doesn't fit, it needs to curve about and inch to fit onto the curve of the sheet metal on the car. I have to redesign the frame for the filter to be curved for this to work. My methods can be adapted, but it'll take some more work. For the moment the first prototype was a crash and burn. I'll start reworking the frame next week.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless, the first salvo has been fired. More than we've attempted. LOL

Very cool!
I'll get it done, but I just realized that I can't start round 2 without a yard trip. I'm going to pull a whole bunch of the stock pieces that I'm mounting to and work with that. If I'm successful I'll gladly make a few more for you guys (and for drop in replacements).

Now its just figuring out how I plan to do this. I've got plenty of ideas.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like your using the filters for a later Honda accord,,
I figured I'd look up the PN and what make/models its for later when I have a final product.

I have some pics, but because it failed I wasn't going to post them yet. I guess you guys want to see the first prototype. I'll upload them tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Moar pics lol. I think these sound like a nice thing to sell at our little meet in August.
Once I get it figured out I could easily fab up a handful of them. I plan on molding a rig to mount it to while I build it to maintain the correct shape this time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good project. I've seen this done before.

Chrysler is seriously idiotic to not have provided an aftermarket kit. They even made one for our PT Cruiser, I bought one years ago and have utilized a number of different filters. Right now I have a high speed house filter in there.

This is something that should be saleable if you get a workable aftermarket kit worked up.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright well here's what I've got.

The filters I used.

A front picture of the filter.

An angle shot that shows it closer.

From the backside. You can see it doesn't fit exactly to the shape of the factory plastic piece, but it doesn't have to . . .

but it does have to fit on the one corner. I cut off that corner and before rebuilding it I did a test fit again. That corner cleared but this is when I figured out the piece couldn't fit the curve of the car's sheet metal.

Now a couple shots of what we're working with.

Here is a close up of the opening the HVAC system sucks the air through behind where I'm trying to put the filter. The opening is smaller than what I'm working with, which is part of why I'm not concerned about there being extra resistance from adding a filter to the system.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Does the air go down the oval opening in this picture? If so, wouldn't it be easier to make something to just fit over the oval? Like a thick filter with an oval cut out that slips over this lip?

Just thinking out loud

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does the air go down the oval opening in this picture? If so, wouldn't it be easier to make something to just fit over the oval? Like a thick filter with an oval cut out that slips over this lip?

Just thinking out loud

I thought about that, but it isn't as easy as you think. You are correct that air goes down that opening, but fabricating something to hold the filter onto that would be fairly difficult, and then keep in mind to install it you have to be able to reach in through the horizontal openings and fit it through. I ended up deciding this would be the easier route to go for fabricating something yourself, but options for that install aren't off the table.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Wonder if that would help eliminate that smell that seems all Intrepids produce when you kick on the ac. All three of mine have had the same malodorous drift from the ac ducts.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.