DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, i heard someone mention the cabin air filter in another thread. Where is it? How can I get to it? I have a 98 Trep base model. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks because my car reeks of cigarettes and my new puppy when I turn the air on (ewww.) I guess I can just cover it up like everyone else.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Try spraying some lysol threw the vent outside the passenger side windshield. Put the air on high and have it blowing out to the passenger not the windshield. that should clear up the smell and will kill mildew in the system. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My low serial number 1998 ES has pax side airbags, so I guess they had them from the start.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
98PlatTrep said:
That sucks because my car reeks of cigarettes and my new puppy when I turn the air on (ewww.) I guess I can just cover it up like everyone else.
just get some fabreeze and spray it on the whole interior.. that would kill the smell..

i had a small fire in my trunk and the smoke filled up the whole car.. used that stuff and 3 days later it was a new car smell

·
Registered
368 Posts
No cabin air filter? WTF?? That is very odd.
My wife has an 01 PT Cruiser/Hauler. There was no cabin filter, but Mopar sold a kit with the box and a filter. I don't see them listed now, but I bought one years back and installed it.
IMO there is no excuse for a modern car to not have a cabin filter.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
My 98 Merc Mystique has one - 2g Intrepids don't - I have measured and you would need a filter approx 3"x31"(or 33 I forget offhand) to cover the plastic HVAC intake screen under the cowl cover. Unfortunately, when you look in filter catalogs, they don't list filter size, just car vs part numbers. My casual browsing hasn't revealed a cabin filter that looks like it will fit.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
My 98 Merc Mystique has one - 2g Intrepids don't - I have measured and you would need a filter approx 3"x31"(or 33 I forget offhand) to cover the plastic HVAC intake screen under the cowl cover. Unfortunately, when you look in filter catalogs, they don't list filter size, just car vs part numbers. My casual browsing hasn't revealed a cabin filter that looks like it will fit.
You've got it all wrong. A filter out there wouldn't last at all. You have to have the cabin air filter on the inside of the cabin inside the HVAC system. Tomorrow I'll dig up pics of where you could put it. The real pisser though is that the ideal spot you'd have to pull out the dash to do, but it would be a piece of cake. There may be another place to put it that could work just as well, I'll have to look at the second location I'm thinking of more later.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts

This pic is from my atc install several years ago. look pretty much dead center in the picture at the rectangle surrounded by foam. This is the opening through which all air from your hvac system enters the ductwork. Just stick a filter right on that bad boy and put it all back together. Changing it would suck, but it would work great.

The second location is in the box all the way to the right. I use the term box loosely since it's a goofy shape. I'll bet that you could open that up and stick a filter in there. You may even by able to pop it in the bottom of that since that is where the filter is in my moms old T&C (2002)-traded in a month ago.

Someday when I get bored I'll do this. I could pull the mod off in an hour and a half if I busted ass I've taken the dash out so many times.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Well I guess Ford has it all wrong. The Merc is the only car I've owned that had one. To change it, you have to take off the right side cowl cover and reach down in there to take the filter out. I believe the change interval is every 15 or 18k.

The best place to put a filter is UPstream, before the motor and fan that is sucking the air in(like in your house). Otherwise, you suck in pollen, dirt, etc into the ductwork.
Plus what would you rather do - pull out 6 screws and a cover or pull off the whole dash????

Just for giggles, I'll snap a pic of the Mystique's filter tonight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
Well I guess Ford has it all wrong. The Merc is the only car I've owned that had one. To change it, you have to take off the right side cowl cover and reach down in there to take the filter out. I believe the change interval is every 15 or 18k.

The best place to put a filter is UPstream, before the motor and fan that is sucking the air in(like in your house). Otherwise, you suck in pollen, dirt, etc into the ductwork.
Plus what would you rather do - pull out 6 screws and a cover or pull off the whole dash????

Just for giggles, I'll snap a pic of the Mystique's filter tonight.
Under the cowl on the passenger side is the place I see them on GM cars and that's where the aftermarket box goes in my wife's PT.
An upstream filter keeps all the garbage out of the fan, and the lungs.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I see whet you're saying about keeping it upstream of the fan and such, but I'm sure that other filter would catch it all as well.

The other issue I have with putting it upstream though is that when on recirculate it wouldn't filter anything out of the air. This was you could run recirculate to clean out the air inside the cabin if you wanted to.

I just would imagine that the filter at the cowl would get killed by the outside environment. There isn't a whole lot of protection there from the elements.

Now perhaps I'll put one in both locations. If you have the upstream filter that would catch the majority of things and the second filter would pick up anything else/recirculated air. You would almost never need to change the second one if you had the first one in place and changed that when necessary.

As far as the first filter you mentioned that for the PT it was a box that the filter is housed in so I'm assuming the filter itself isn't just exposed. Perhaps an aftermarket addition such as that can by modified to fit.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I did a search and found a WIX cabin filter pdg guide. http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/wixcabinairbrochure.pdf

Ford Lincoln Merc tends to put theirs under the wiper cowl. GM cars outside too. GM trucks put theirs inside. Honda in, VW out.

I can see though, how one inside somewhere in the recirc path would help clear the inside air out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.