DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting cable internet access on the 8th of this month thru Insight. They are allowing me to use one of the following modems.

3Com CMX2940, 3CR29220, 3CR29221, 3CR29223
Arris/Nortel CM100, CM200, CM200U
BestData CMX100, CMX110
COM21 DP1010, DP101, DP111, DP1110, Doxport 1110
D-Link DCM-100, DCM-200
Ericsson PipeRider HM200C
High Speed Surfing SM100
Linksys BEFCMU10
Motorola (formerly General Instruments) SB2100, SB3100, SB4100
Thomson/RCA DCM105, DCM205, DCM215, DCM225, DCM226, DCM235, DCM235R,
DCM245, DCM245R
Toshiba DAZ8801, DAZ8811, DAZ8813, PCX1100, PCX1100U
Zoom 5011 (external model only)

I have been a 3COM fan in the past but if anyone uses one of these and likes it or hates it please let me know.
I will be connecting LAN not USB.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
504 Posts
I like my Motorola SB4100. I've had no problems with it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got an extra at home but I will have to check the brand, its 3 years old, would you be interested?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
im sitting at a tier 2 cable internet helpdesk right now :p
Out of all the choices I see there, which are pretty good.. I'd choose a Toshiba PCX 1100U.
But don't take my word for it, what do I know? :p

(I know I keep customers connected :p)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I also highly recommend the Toshiba modem

I originally had a Surfboard modem which required a reboot about once a month, I got sick of it and bought the Toshiba which was cheaper than the origianl one I had ($150 at compusa) offers both USB and CAT-5 connections and hasn't crashed once sine I set it up

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have a Motorola SB4100. Has worked fine for me.. last 2 years. Never had a problem.

In my experience Insight RR service can be really poor. They don't maintain their cable lines.

I've had great service with Time Warner RR.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Hey Jtatz, have you called Time Warner RR tech support lately? Spoken to anyone named Dan? NO reason! no nothing at all :)

Heh forget I mentioned it, hes only their best tech support guy ;) ;)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Oh, the sb4100 is a good choice, it's a damned work horse, but I preffer the Toshiba for some reason..

Allright, well i say toshiba (highest number you can go, because that means newer)
or.. secondary motorola (same here, 4200 if you can.)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the Toshiba PCX2200 be just as good? It is not on the list, but i cant find a Toshiba on the list in stores

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
jwc553911 said:
Would the Toshiba PCX2200 be just as good? It is not on the list, but i cant find a Toshiba on the list in stores
That's the same modem I have. I have had no problems with that modem. It's fairly new model so if the cable company's list isn't up to date, that would be why that model isn't listed on there. My cable company just put that model on their list when I called to set up my account.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nws17 said:
I've got an extra at home but I will have to check the brand, its 3 years old, would you be interested?
Would prefer something new, sorry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ALSO............
is there any difference if i use USB (1) or LAN in speed or anything. I have both available.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi
I have been using a Motorolla Surfboard sb4100 for about six months, relativly happy with it, it does require a reboot periodically. One gripe is if I let my pc go into standby mode I lose the settings and have to reboot sometimes 3 or 4 times. As far as USB or lan, The lan connection is definitely faster. Just make sure you have good firewall software [hardware much better]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
jwc553911 said:
ALSO............
is there any difference if i use USB (1) or LAN in speed or anything. I have both available.
I do believe LAN is much faster. Also, some cable companies may not recommend using the USB connection (Comcast doesn't recommend it).

I too have both available and I choose to use the LAN connection.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, going to get the Toshiba PCX2200. store says it will work, and it comes with norton software (firewall... )

and its on sale!

·
980 Posts
the lan connection is capable of faster data transfer, however the connection speeds are not as fast as usb can handle so there is no performance difference, however I think it is still better to use lan at this time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
yeah, i'm a Tier II tech support guy(charter pipeline), and DO NOT use USB!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts