DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok peoples, I'm looking into actually getting a high speed internet connection. I was looking at getting a cable hook up. Now, from what I understand I need a cable modem AND a NIC card, correct? So what do you people recommend and where would be the best places to get them?

Thanks for all your help!

I'M SICK OF BEING A HPB!!! :)

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ususally, your cable company will supply the cable modem. There, up until recently, have been few standards for cable modems.

As for a NIC, you can get that pretty much anywhere. If you are only connecting your machine to the modem you can feel free to use any 10-BaseT or 100-BaseT NIC that you want. Your cable modem will give you a maximum of 10mbps (megabits per second) and in all reallity, will only give you about 3-5mbps if you're lucky.

What that means is that your fastest throughput is 10mbps and seeing as how the slowest Ethernet NIC is 10mbps (the 10-BaseT I mentioned before) you can buy any card that you feel comfortable paying for. Decent brand names include 3com, NetGear, LinkSys, and SMC among many many others.

If, however, you have more than one computer and want to share your cable connection with them, I suggest you buy 100-BaseT cards so that your computers can talk fast to each other. They will still be limited by the cable's speed when going to the internet, but on your LAN (Local Area Network) they will be able to talk like the "disclaimer guy" on radio commercials.

Finally, the piece of the puzzle you cannot do without (especially on a dedicated connection like cable or DSL) is a good security solution. The two main pieces are a firewall and an antivirus program.

If you are only using one computer, I recommend that you use Zone Alarm as your firewall. You can use any reputable antivirus program such as the ones from McAfee or Symantec/Norton.

If you are connecting multiple machines, you will still want the antivirus program on all of the computers, but you will want something elses in place for firewalling and connection sharing. I highly recommend the Linksys Firewall/Router. This product will also provide ports that you can connect your other machines into for LAN connectivity.

For more easy to understand security information, you can check out GRC.com. Pay particular attention to the articles on the "Shield's UP" page.

Have fun! When properly protected from all of the worms, trojans, and script kiddies out there, broadband internet connectivity is killer.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
You can get a NIC practically anywhere. Just as long as its Ethernet 10/100. Sometimes the cable company will even provide you with one (for a price) if you dont have one, and install it for you.

As far as a cable modem goes... that depends on the cable company. Time Warner's Roadrunner... they will probably provide you with the cable modem (free). Other cable companies like Cablevision's Optimum Online... you have to buy the modem.

I would call your cable company and see what they offer and whats included (for free). Other than that all you need is a standard NIC I think. I do not think buying a "name brand" nic will get you any lower pings.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks cj and DjPiLL.

The company that I would go through would be the Comcast @Home network.

According to their website I can either buy one for $200, or rent it for $5-$15 per month. I was looking at if there might be a cheaper solution (just entertaining a thought). :)

For personal protection, I currently have the latest editions of Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security.

My computer will be the only one hooked up to the cable. But if my roomy gets a computer (or if I build a new one) than we'll be getting a little LAN going here! :)

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
yep, cable company supplied me a Surfboard modem for a nominal fee. I did the self install option since immediatly hooked up a d-link cable router/firewall and then uplinked it into my 10/100 switch so I could share it across all my pc's.

I have always used linksys 10/100 cards, they are a good price and I have never had one fail on me. My work prefers 3com 905 NIC cards but I find them overpriced.

BTW - if anyone needs a great site to test their internet security try this

shields up

The test takes a while but test everything!

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Damm all those shitty cable companies. I got my modem for free... and i got a free month of cable ($110 total) with Time Warner.

:)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I recently switched from DSL to cable Internet. Not really a speed difference as much as it is a simplicity increase. With the DSL, I had to install some crappy PPPoE service stuff that worked flakily at best.

However, since my cable hookup is way on the other side of my apartment, I got a wireless access point (Linksys) and a wireless NIC for my computer. It's pretty slick. Now if I get a laptop, I'll just slap a wireless PCMCIA card in it and there we'll have another computer that I can take all over my apartment and be on the Internet. It's pretty kewl. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mr. Warlord 187,

My cable company provides internet access via the @home network also. Be aware that [email protected] is having financial difficulties. Their shares are almost worthless and people are concerned. My cable company sent out a letter regarding this issue and are working feverishly to upstart their own network. I am sure you're fine, especially for now however you may want to question your cable company about the not too distant future.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by CapitalCity RT:
My cable company provides internet access via the @home network also. Be aware that [email protected] is having financial difficulties. Their shares are almost worthless and people are concerned. My cable company sent out a letter regarding this issue and are working feverishly to upstart their own network. I am sure you're fine, especially for now however you may want to question your cable company about the not too distant future.
@home filed for chapter 11 today, however, AT&T is buying their network or something:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-7339605.html?tag=tp_pr

·
Registered
558 Posts
You got it! Received an email from my cable company last night informing me of the situation and they are very happy. They say they had many dealings with AT&T and they look forward to the new venture.

Hopefully, the monthly rate doesn't sky rocket. It is high enough already. They provide the cable modem and we pay $36.00/month (CDN)(after Sept.11, = $1.00 US). How 'bout your rates?

Danny
Capitalcity R/T

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
You dont have as many issues with cable going under... since there usually isnt a contract to sign.

As far as those wireless cards are concerned... yeah they are cool. My boss said he used to take his iPAQ around all over with the wireless card he had in there, even took it on the Jon and browsed there. :) Be careful though cause he also told me that one time when he was pulling up his pants... his blackberry dropped into the toilet. LOL it was a good thing he flushed first. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I pay $29.00 a month. That's the discounted service fee also, because I also have cable TV through my provider. I think the normal rate is $39.00 for Optimum Online.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Nothing like sitting on the crapper while browsing the net.

Damn I miss cable internet. I had it at home back in Canada, and now I only have dial up and DSL is way too expensive in my area. :(

I tell ya, its a shock going from 600k/sec downloads to 6k/sec.

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
As far as those wireless cards are concerned... yeah they are cool. My boss said he used to take his iPAQ around all over with the wireless card he had in there, even took it on the Jon and browsed there.
Been there and done that with my iPAQ and wireless network here at home ;) Better than bringing a magazine or newspaper....LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts