DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consider this; you call it a cold air kit right? The factory air box actually draws air in from outside the engine compartment; truelly a 'cold air intake' in my mind. Some guys install an aftermarket kit that draws its air from the engine compartment; hmmmm. Please understand I am not being critical; I just want you all to think this out. What I did was buy a KN drop in air filter into my factory box. That took 0.05 off my 0-60 time. I then drilled out the spot welds that hold the little scoop thing onto the outside of the inner fender, in the wheel well area. I gained an additional .15, for a total of .2 reduction.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
A lot of the 1G guys do that but on the 2G's the K&N KIT has a plastic partition you install around the filter to isolate it from the engine heat.
JoeKD's kit also has one.

I stuck with the stock box but drilled holes in the lower front corner to draw air from just over the battery where it's still cool. But you're on the right track - the stock hole is a little restrictive for high RPM's ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh,now i see the rest of your post, DG. I seriously considered about a 2" hole in the bottom too, near the battery. Do you feel that helps?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Not sure how perfect the seal is but it must be pretty good on JoeKD's intake. Somewhere he's got a post talking about the temp in the filter area being just a little higher than ambient air.
jeff3.5Lincolumbus said:
Oh,now i see the rest of your post, DG. I seriously considered about a 2" hole in the bottom too, near the battery. Do you feel that helps?
I think it helped - pedal response is a tad quicker if nothing else. The engine is pretty isolated from that area above the battery ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it would be a fairly simple test to verify the air temperature difference, for one of the guys that have a CAI, and the OE box. The air temperature sensor is easy to get at. Just connect a voltmeter, monitor the voltage as you drive around with both the CAI and the OE and compare the voltage readings. Since I dont have though i can't. Any takers??

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What about radiator air?

What engine sold the most in the LH2 platform? 2.7 ? The hole is big enough for the 2.7. seems the whole platform was singularly optimized.

·
Registered
851 Posts
the gains on an after market intake come from it being less restrictive, usually a smoother larger bore tube with less harsh bends...a true cai gets routed down into the wheel well bottom front area of the car where it can pick up denser cooler air along the ground in theory. the joe-kd is more of a short ram set up, though it does seem adress the heat with a heat shield.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I believe (don't quote me on this) there was a "study" done comparing the "CIA" with and without a heat shield. The outcome was that a "CIA" without "cold" air wasn't any better than the stock 2G system - you really need the heat shield (or stock box with holes in the right places :)) to make it a better system ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts