DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a noob question here about CAI...If the filter is still under the hood as most setups that I have seen posted here are, and there is no vent or scoop cut into the hood to allow outside air to hit the intake, and the intake is just drawing air in from under the hood, how is it considered a "cold" air intake, even with a heat shield?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...makes sense...so I was looking on the K&N site, and they have one for the 3.5, but not the 3.2...will it work in the 3.2? I was looking at the installation instrustions and the pics look the same as what is under my hood.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
ltrain01rt said:
I believe most air comes in through slits in the passenger side wheel well.
True... in the stock set up ALL the air comes from the pass. fender well. If you notice the 'quality' CAI set-ups (ei. JoeKD) have a heat sheild that blocks off the area from the engine bay air.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kitulu said:
Ok...makes sense...so I was looking on the K&N site, and they have one for the 3.5, but not the 3.2...will it work in the 3.2? I was looking at the installation instrustions and the pics look the same as what is under my hood.
I thought that the K&N was the same for both the 3.2/3.5 motors.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,357 Posts
I looked at the cover page of my K&N FIPK 57-1522 and it shows fitting the following:

2000-03 Intrepid R/T
2004 Intrepid SXT
2000-04 300M
V6-3.5L

K&N 57-1523 is for the 2.7L only. A check on the K$N Filter site indicates there isn't anything for the 3.2L at least for a FIPK. The only thing they show is the drop in filter for the stock airbox #33-2136 which is the same for all engines. I've read here that the upper manifold is the same for the 3.2/3.5 so I'd say the plumbing and all the intake parts from the manifold to the front air box should be the same. However I can't guarantee that without parts research. It's a tough decision to spend $200 and it may not fit though. I see what i can dig up on the intake part numbers...might be a little bit though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yup! buy the K&N Aircharger for the 3.5L. It fits perfect...I have one and no problems. The 3.2 and 3.5 are essentially the same engine..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts