3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Detroit Free Press:

Caliber ad seen as offending gays

Chrysler stands behind TV spot

April 6, 2006

BY KORTNEY STRINGER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Some gay advocates believe Chrysler Group's new ad for the Anything But Cute campaign is anything but tolerant.

DaimlerChrysler AG's unit rolled out the campaign last month to introduce its new Dodge Caliber compact, featuring some intentionally edgy TV ads to attract young car buyers. One spot, called "Too Tough," features a man wearing short shorts walking small dogs.

"I think it's a cheap shot," said Kathy Ervin, a Manistee mother of a lesbian. "It seemed to me to be a broad caricature of the kind of stereotypical behavior people have in mind about gay people, flouncing and a little over the top."

Chrysler said it's gotten an average number of such complaints. The automaker, which says the man in the spot isn't gay, doesn't plan to pull it.

"We're kind of surprised that people are making a conclusion about someone's sexual orientation based on the clothes they're wearing," said Suraya Bliss, a Chrysler spokeswoman.

The Anything But Cute campaign, which targets 25- to 35-year-olds, uses off-color humor. For instance, one ad called "Moon Dog" shows a dog sticking his rear end out of a Caliber window.

The 30-second "Too Tough" ad, created by BBDO Detroit, shows a fairy using her wand to turn things cute, including a building into a gingerbread house. After trying her magic on the Caliber, she's flung onto the ground near a tough-looking guy walking a big dog. When the man laughs at her, she turns him into a guy wearing a pastel yellow shirt, short white shorts and a sweater draped across his shoulders, walking a pack of small dogs with a pink leash.

"This guy looks pretty gay to me," said Jeffrey Montgomery, executive director of the Detroit-based Triangle Foundation, a civil rights organization for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. "I'm willing to believe they didn't intend it to be a gay man, but I don't believe they're shocked someone would draw that conclusion."

·
Registered
78 Posts
So who cares if a few pervs get offended.

It's funny.

Why should straight people care, anyway? After all, gays been telling us for years it's private and none of our business, so, if they get offended at our humor.. tough.

Further, who really cares if 2% of the population is being made fun of...?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
Some people need a life.
Boy, you really hit that "nail" on the head. One thing I learned very early on when I started my first job at 16, was that you can't please EVERYONE. There are some people out there that you could give them everything humanly possible and they won't be satisfied. And this is no exception. My post is not an anti-gay thing. I believe in the saying "to each their own". What other people want to do with their lives is their business. I've got my own life to lead. But come on, car companies putting out anti-gay ads. Please. Its like the total opposite of the flack that Ford has themselves with placing ads in gay-oriented magazines. They're the subject of a boycott by some Family group.

Is our world so politically correct that TV ads have to be so carefully crafted as to not offend anyone? Gee, maybe the African American population should speak up because there weren't any Blacks in the commercial. Maybe DC are not only anti-gay, but racist as well. Oh and throw in sexist as well. It seems the "Caliber" is a "tough" vehicle for the macho manly man, not women. Where does it end? People read too much into these things. Is there nothing better to do in life than "find" controversy?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Is our world so politically correct that TV ads have to be so carefully crafted as to not offend anyone?
That one South Park X-mas episode comes to mind. :)

But seriously, if gays want to be treated equally, than they need to take a joke like the straight people can take a joke.

Besides, in the words of Carlos Mencia, "If you can take a dick, you can take a joke." :)

EDIT: Oh wait. That last comment may offend the lesbians. *sigh*

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Speaking of racist... I hear that there was a group of Muslim folks planted at the Nascar race to demonstrate how Americans, and Nascar fans are prejudiced and racist. Apparently, no one even noticed. lol! I only heard a quick clip about it on the radio this morning. I'll have to see if I can dig up some more on it...

EDIT: New Thread

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
In2Deep said:
Speaking of racist... I hear that there was a group of Muslim folks planted at the Nascar race to demonstrate how Nascar fans are prejudice and racist. Apparently, no one even noticed. lol! I only heard a quick clip about it on the radio this morning. I'll have to see if I can dig up some more on it...

hahaha....

NASCAR fans aren't prejudice and racist. NASCAR fans are "patriotic". :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
yea thats lame.

i just wanted to say i just read my car & driver on the caliber srt4 and ive totally flip flopped on this car. i didnt like the looks before, now its grown on me especially in srt4 garb and i think its looks tough compared to the rest of the cars in the segment. and if this thing comes out for 22,000.00 at 300 hp thats a good deal. i need to go test drive one, one of these days. ok threadjack over. back to the show.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I don't get it. Aussie's right; some people need to get a life. I didn't think the ad was anti-gay at all.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
People read WAY too much into things. I like the ad myself, but I'm not in the market for a new car......otherwise who knows, I might test drive a Caliber SRT=4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts