DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Dodge Intrepid

On the drivers side front caliper, the mounting bracket for the caliber mounting bolt is stripped out. Has anyone else had this problem as is there an easy fix for it? I don't know if I can find a larger bolt that will fit through the spacer for the caliber. Any opinions or ideas on a fix would be appreciated.

Brian

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
get a heli coil kit it replaces the threads auto zone has them

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i had it happen a well, just heli-coil it, it will be as good as new

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yeah, bohmer. I have the same exact problem. Drivers side too. Yeah a heli-coil kit should work fine

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
thread restorer isn't that the same as the helicoil? i men if ou re-tappd id it prob wouldn works becues the material that was theer with threads is now gone. Just heli-cil it it will be better then new

·
Registered
566 Posts
I did one of these a couple of months ago; got a "thread repair kit" from Autozone plus the exact size drill bit it specified. I *think* the caliper bolts are M8, but take one along and verify that its threads exactly match the kit's specs. Like test it with a verified nut, store display, etc.
**CAUTION** have a helper watch while you drill, and drill SLOWLY. The thread area is pretty soft and you probably don't want to drill all the way through it.

138 Posts
Yeah, a mass pack a morons at Bingham's Tire and Oil stripped mine out for me. I was outa town, so the little lady took the car there for pad replacement. Although I went ballistic on the morons, it did no good. I went to the junk yard and bought steering knuckle, bearing and all for $25 bucks. So that's $50 for both, and I have extra bearings if ever needed.

My car will never go to that butcher shop again. I always fix everything that happens to the car, just wasn't around at the time to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had it happen a well, just heli-coil it, it will be as good as new
OK, I also have a 97 intrepid and the same problem with the caliper bracket, only on the passenger side. You say to use a heli-coil set to fix this, OK fine, i had never even heard of these so that's a good thing, but what size do i use, as there are many different . . I know it's metric, but what exact size am i getting to repair the stripped bolt hole on the bracket? and will I then be able to use the original bolt for the caliper or will i have to go to a different size? Forgive me for my ignorance but this is a new problem for me that I have never faced before, and it is going to be my son's first car, so i don't want to give it to him rigged, it has to right . . . big sigh . . . safe for him . . . have tried lock tite on the bolt and it fell out a month after it was put in

·
Premium Member
16,841 Posts
OK, I also have a 97 intrepid and the same problem with the caliper bracket, only on the passenger side. You say to use a heli-coil set to fix this, OK fine, i had never even heard of these so that's a good thing, but what size do i use, as there are many different . . I know it's metric, but what exact size am i getting to repair the stripped bolt hole on the bracket? and will I then be able to use the original bolt for the caliper or will i have to go to a different size? Forgive me for my ignorance but this is a new problem for me that I have never faced before, and it is going to be my son's first car, so i don't want to give it to him rigged, it has to right . . . big sigh . . . safe for him . . . have tried lock tite on the bolt and it fell out a month after it was put in
The thread spec. is M8-1.25. If done correctly, you will re-use the original bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts