1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's not like there's a whole lot you can do about it. Your best bet is to just be aware of it, and remember that things will always cost more than you think.

I, for one, would rather spend my time doing something other than complain about things I only have to put up with every 5-6 years. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
This type of mark up has been around for many, many years. Around here they call it an ADM sticker. Additional Dealer Markup. I remember when the P/T Cruiser came out the Dealers around me were selling them for $5000-10000 over sticker! Yeah for a P/T Cruiser! And they would use this type of sticker to show the mark up. Some people seam to forget that it is only in recent history that Dealers decided to shoot themselves in the foot and start selling cars for less than sticker. Back before the early '80s most cars were sold at sticker at a minimum for the most part. And hot models sold for slightly more.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
The mark-ups that I hate are the $50.00 "paperwork" fee... (last car I bought was used, and it was $50, but I know there are other rates for similar services). I _REFUSE_ to pay them, and tell them right up front that I will not pay them - I warn them that they need to keep that in mind with the price negotations, and build in all fees except Tax and state titling fees... And they always 'forget' when you sit down to sign papers, and I walk away if they don't remove it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only bought 2 vehs from dealers and never noticed them. I should really start paying more attention.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The mark-ups that I hate are the $50.00 "paperwork" fee... (last car I bought was used, and it was $50, but I know there are other rates for similar services). I _REFUSE_ to pay them, and tell them right up front that I will not pay them - I warn them that they need to keep that in mind with the price negotations, and build in all fees except Tax and state titling fees... And they always 'forget' when you sit down to sign papers, and I walk away if they don't remove it.
Don't you think you're being unreasonable? Please remember that ink is very expensive these days...:biggrin:

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Don't you think you're being unreasonable? Please remember that ink is very expensive these days...:biggrin:
Not if you use a Kodak, apparently!

No, my point to all those extra fees (albeit small in my case) is that it is my opinion that those should be included in the mark-up on the car... They buy cars cheap, clean them, maybe put tires or brakes on them, wash them once, and put them on the lot... all of the cost involved in the prep work is included in the mark-up, so why isn't the paperwork fee? That is just a concealed cost as far as I'm concerned...

:1959:

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,438 Posts
Not if you use a Kodak, apparently!

No, my point to all those extra fees (albeit small in my case) is that it is my opinion that those should be included in the mark-up on the car... They buy cars cheap, clean them, maybe put tires or brakes on them, wash them once, and put them on the lot... all of the cost involved in the prep work is included in the mark-up, so why isn't the paperwork fee? That is just a concealed cost as far as I'm concerned...

:1959:
Extra $50 they can charge, on top of everything else. Ridiculous, takes 20 minutes to fill out and file the paperwork. However, *IF* they are paying someone to go to the title office and transfer the title, (carlot I did repair work for paid a girl full time to do this kind of stuff) etc for you, then *maybe* I could see a fee there, otherwise, heck no. They are still making a big profit either way though. Ive seen $175 "paperwork fees" on a couple cars I considered buying on ebay. The dang fee was the deal breaker after the seller couldnt explain it properly.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
well,, down here in Tn,, its called "Doc Fees" anywhere from 150.00-500.00,, when i baught the special,, from a ford dealer, they wanted to charge me 200.00.. i started to walk out,, and it vanished,,

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Extra $50 they can charge, on top of everything else. Ridiculous, takes 20 minutes to fill out and file the paperwork. However, *IF* they are paying someone to go to the title office and transfer the title, (carlot I did repair work for paid a girl full time to do this kind of stuff) etc for you, then *maybe* I could see a fee there, otherwise, heck no. They are still making a big profit either way though. Ive seen $175 "paperwork fees" on a couple cars I considered buying on ebay. The dang fee was the deal breaker after the seller couldnt explain it properly.
That is against Ebay policy and you don't have to pay them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts