DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump today. Crank & rightside cam sprocket both line up with TDC, but leftside sprocket does not. Timing was off before today (CRUISE light was flashing). Now, how do I go about adjusting the leftside camshaft so it lines up with TDC? Please help, this car is literally going to be my ride to the asaine assylum after I get it put back together. hehe...

thank you thank you thank you
Kurtis

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
lol yes move it, also how is it off? wheer is the dot? outside to the left? outside to teh right? Your only option really, which isn't to bad to do , is unbolt teh tension, position the cams and put the belt back on

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Maybe this will help some ( these are quick insturctions):

Align the crankshaft sprockets between the marks on the rear belt covers-3.5L engine

Remove

Remove the timing cover

If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the timing belt running direction for installation. Align the camshaft sprockets with the marks on the rear covers.

Remove the timing belt and tensioner. Inspect the timing belt for excessive wear, damage and/or deterioration and replace with new belt, if necessary.

Install:

Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on the covers.

Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on the oil pump cover.

Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket and going in a counterclockwise direction.

Rotate the crankshaft sprocket two revolutions and check for proper alignment of the timing marks on the camshaft and the crankshaft. If the timing marks do not line up, repeat the procedure.

Install the timing cover

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
taking the plugs out won't help too much, its the valve springs etc under tension that make teh cams jump around when ya soin them. IF they get the lined up close the right way when you put the bet on they won't move

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a couple of those large spring paper clip thingys to hold the belt on the cam sprockets. This helps to keep the cams aligned while you put the belt on the crank.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
well your suppose to start at teh crank and work your way around. But do what ya gotta do lol. I usualyl put tension on teh left siide of the crank then work the belt around, the driver side cam, then the pump, then i switch hands keeping tneion on both parts of the belt you can get it to "loop" up over the passenger side cam, then i take the idler and push it up against the belt to keep it tighte , pull teh belt down into the cam then put the tension on. When it pull tights it wil bring both cams towards the passenger side bringiing the marks perfeclty inbetween the 2 dots, rotate and make sure they line up then have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts