DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The left camshaft, part# 4792233, is needed for a 2000 Concorde 3.2 because of a burnt lobe. New is between $400 and $500. Know anyone who has a good used one for sale as I'm not seeing any on ebay or other sources?

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
Only thing I can find is on www.car-part.com for a 2002 3.5 Concorde - from Moraine Auto Parts in Moraine, OH. They don't give a price - says to call for price.

3.2 and 3.5 cams are interchangeable, but are a different grind, so if you go that route, change both cams - can't see that a different grind would cause a problem - probably will just breath better. 2000 and 2002 are interchangeable (be sure to use your 2000 sprocket because that did change between 2000 and 2002 - tone wheel hole patterns are different). Their listing stupidly says "3.5 + 2.7 + 3.2 available" - obviously 2.7 won't work, but their photos of the vehicle show one of the engine, and its a 3.5. OR perhaps their listing means they have cams trom a 3.2 also off a different vehicle, but who knows - might be worth a call to them to tind out either way. (For some reason, I have found that junk yards don't respond to emails, but they will answer the phone. Don't know why that is, but that's been my experience.)

If you have to change both cams from 3.5 instead of a 3.2, your decision if you do or do not want to do that, but if you don't have any other options, again, it would work, and you could still save some money for 2 vs. buying one new.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peva.

Are only a 2000 / 2002's 3.2 / 3.5's from a Concorde interchangeable, or are other models such as Intrepid, 300m, LHS, for same years / engine sizes interchangeable as well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search for the left camshaft from a 2002 Concorde 3.5 on the moparpartssuplusonline website (no 3.5's were made in 2000) and shows the part# is 04664887.

I then did a search on ebay for that part#, and in the drop down boxes in the ad for a new camshaft with that part#, the following vehicles appeared as compatible and shows 2001, 2003, and 2004 (in addition to the 2002), from various models as compatible...do you agree the with this?

·
Registered
373 Posts
only difference was the gears on the front between 99-04. 02 being the change over year of the 3.5.
only difference would be slight duration differences for the 3.2 if anything at all.

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
You're welcome.

Yes - the application list looks correct.

There were 3.5's in '99 and '00 - not in Intrepid, but they were in the 300M and the LHS (also Plymouth Prowler) - perhaps different part numbers in different apps. lists - see next paragraph.

From Rock Auto, I'm also seeing part no. 4663887 shown across all years '98-'04. Perhaps 4664887 superceded it? For history, you'd have to research the cams on the Chrysler parts pdf's across the years: see 2nd Gen Parts Catalog
(In application lists, sometimes you get a mix of part numbers due to supercession and/or consolidation of different part numbers for the same parts used across different trim levels. For example, the 300M Special used certain variations of parts for slight performance tweaks. Both OEM and aftermarket will often consolidate those variations, their consolidated applications lists will often be different, as the parts may be form, fit, and function interchangeable even if slightly different performance details acceptable according to interchange standards.)

If you're buying new OEM cams, they will be just the cams without the sprocket. Used (and maybe some aftermarket) may come with sprocket. As I mentioned, if with the sprocket, you can use them - you just have to replace the sprocket with the one from your existing cam due to SBEC vs. NGC timing hole pattern (that change occurred in 2001). This wouldn't be a factor for passenger side cam because there's no tone wheel on the sprocket on that side.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
There were 3.5 Intrepids in 2000. I have one of them. A 2000 Intrepid R/T.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant that there were no 3.5 Concorde's in 2000, not other models. That is considering the mopar website info. is correct.

There were 3.5 Intrepids in 2000. I have one of them. A 2000 Intrepid R/T.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
All the yards listed on car-part are full service not u-pull it yards. So if it's still in the car they pull it for you.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
I meant that there were no 3.5 Concorde's in 2000, not other models. That is considering the mopar website info. is correct.
My reply was in reference to Peva's post above.

There were 3.5's in '99 and '00 - not in Intrepid, but they were in the 300M and the LHS (also Plymouth Prowler) - perhaps different part numbers in different apps. lists - see next paragraph.

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
Yep - I forgot about the R/Ts.

Good idea about buying the head, Ron - probably cost about what a cam costs since they don't have to disassemble it. Johnny 5: "No disassemble"

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a cylinder head assy on car-part.com off a 2000 Intrepid 3.2. Engine it's off of had 109K miles.

If anyone else buying used one from car-part.com, here's list of questions I asked that may be helpful (after giving vehicle or stock# and rep. telling you if they still have it):

1) Do you ship cylinder head assemblies? Many I called do not ship them.
2) Is it on the shelf or on the car? If it's on the car, I pass because condition unknown and usually costs more.
3) How many miles on the car it came from? Do not ask any more questions if either # miles above what you're looking for or if unknown.
4) What is condition of engine it came from? May be ok anyway, but good to know.
5) Will you send pics of assy? If no, call next yard on your list.
6) If will send pics of assy, ask if will also remove rocker arm and send pics of all sides of cam. One yard I called that sent pics of the cam, turned out it was bad.
7) What is your return policy?
8) Will you verify it will fit my vehicle (year/engine size/left or right side)?
9) How much is shipping?
10) What method you ship, when will be shipped, and will give tracking #?
11) Is there a core charge? Some yards I called have a core charge.
12) Will you give a discount on price of the part?

Other:
1) Before calling, find out all years/models/engine sizes that are compatible with your car, and input that info. in car-part search engine. Info. in this thread from Peva, Ronbo, and yevrah will help with that (thanks guys).
2) Sometimes the yard will have more than one vehicle that is compatible with yours...give rep. all vehicle info. on car-part.com list that are compatible with yours.
3) First on list to call should be ones that have a picture of the assy because you know it's off the car.
4) Best to call only those that have price, as most that had "$Call" were still on the car.
5) Don't rely too much on part grade listed. The one with the bad cam I mentioned above had a part grade of "A". You be the judge of grade based on pics and # of miles on the car (if known).
6) Pay with a credit card vs debit card...if problems with it, will be easier to dispute charge.

Any other questions overlooked, post here.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
All good points but for me if I know it's a large heavy part, I concentrate locally when I enter my parameters. That's why I posted the heads available in Rogers, AR which would be local to me. It's still a 3 hour drive one way to that yard and was the closest/cheapest listed.

I've purchased several smaller parts off car-part from yards in different states with no issues in shipping.

For your particular situation....If you don't want to pay the New Premium Price then you're stuck with used and working for it! As you've found out already the camshaft issue for the one side is all too common on the 3.2/3.5 engines. Good luck.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
For $500...you can come to Little Rock, AR with a trailer and have my 2000 Intrepid R/T with a 3.5L engine complete and less than 100k miles! Clean title!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What needs to be fixed to get it running and what have you replaced on it?

For $500...you can come to Little Rock, AR with a trailer and have my 2000 Intrepid R/T with a 3.5L engine complete and less than 100k miles! Clean title!

·
Registered
727 Posts
go to the local pick a part and pull one out. they usually charge like $20-30 for a camshaft. for $100 ill grab one for you and get it shipped. but ronbo's trep might be a better deal

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Disadvantages of pulling one yourself:
1) Usually the yard doesn't know the mileage of the vehicle.
2) If you do pull it yourself, it could be in bad condition.
3) The mechanic working on the car said could take up to 3 hours pulling it and that is if goes smoothly.

In my opinion better to spend $ where one already on the shelf and ask for pics to determine condition, and if the mileage of the vehicle is known.

go to the local pick a part and pull one out. they usually charge like $20-30 for a camshaft. for $100 ill grab one for you and get it shipped. but ronbo's trep might be a better deal

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
What needs to be fixed to get it running and what have you replaced on it?
I'll send you a PM regarding it. Unless you can do a lot of mechanical work yourself, it may be only useful for the 90k mile 3.5L engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts