DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading your threads about the limp mode in the transmission. I have a 93 and i cant get passed second gear. I have to cut the car off at a light and hope that it will reset itself. I just changed the speed sensors. I am told that this is a common problem for these cars. does anyone know the "cure" for this once and for all?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you just changed the input/output sensors, then I might suspect the TCM itself or the wiring. Inspect the wiring for damage, make sure all corosion is removed from wire harnesses.

This assumes your trans was shifting fine prior to limp mode.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
another thing to add to the possible causes list, would be the relay in the Power Distribution Center labeled "EATX Shutdown".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine had the same problem.
I replace both sensors, also took off the battery cable...
Did not change a thing.
Finally I unplug the wiring sockets... The one around the motor... On the driver's side right above the exhaust... Also the ones behind the motor...
And play with it... In and out... I guess that was a bad connection and the eletric pulses were not going through...
I believe there is some kind of spray that we can put inside the socket to improve the conductivity and avoid corrosion...
Anyone knows any of that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st and 2nd generational years

i have a 1993 intrep. (i assume its 1st gen). What years are the 1st and 2nd gen? Also with that common tranny problem with the 1st, is it possible to replace with a 2nd gen tranny? and will that cure the limp mode problem?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
first gens are 93-97, second gens are 98-04....... you could use a second gen tranny, there is a how to somewhere, jsut check the "how-to" link in the tool bar,
if the transmissions internals are FUBAR, yes, it will fix the problem, but if it's wiring, connections, etc, you'd jsut be blowing your money on a new tranny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.