DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, I was wiping the car down today after cleaning it a couple days ago and noticed this on the left quarter panel:

At which point I was like:

I am not happy about this. For now they appear to be very small, the biggest bubble is about 3/8" and pressing on them at least feels like solid metal.

Is it possible to access behind the quarter panel to see what it looks like back there? Most of them of them look like they resulted from paint chips, but I'm not sure if there's issues on the other side of the metal.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Painted bubbling is supposedly pretty common in that area. I don't exactly know about and access point, but if you wanted to get rid of it sand her down, prime her up, bondo and repaint! Or go to a shop and have it professionally done.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
You can strip the paint and repaint it all you want, it's going to come back. Bubbles mean the rust is coming from the back side. The right way to do it would be to replace that part of the rear quarter with good metal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had that on my 2000 r/t.....it was rusting from the inside out....started with small bubbles, then got worse and worse....we cut it out just above where the rear bumber connects to the body....had to make a new filler piece all the way to the wheel well....grafted it in and bodyworked and painted it...while it was cut apart, I discovered that there "was" at one time foam sprayed inside the quarter panel by the gas filler door area and it had basically crumbled with age and it was holding water there from under the car when the wheels throw it up there....now my passenger side just above the rear bumper and exactly the same place as the drivers side is starting to do it....once again, the foam has failed, leaving a pinky finger sized hole which water collects from the wheels spinning it there and just sits inside the quarter panel...both sides had this problem....****ing dodge engineers.....lets fill the hole with foam and send it down the line...**** the future owners....genius

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awww, same thing happened to my car, started with small bubbles then it got worse. Went to the shop and had it professionally done, bodyworks and paint.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think you can get to the back of it by removing the plastic wheel well liner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts