DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my 1996 3.3L, p0171 System running too lean bank 1. I have cleaned and replace MAF sensor, Replaced the fuel filter, coil, wires, plugs, EGR, all four O2 sensors, cleaned the injectors, and there are no vacuum leaks, now my mechanic is telling me it has to be the coolant temperature sensor. The car is acting like it is missing and running rough, emission testing is in about three months and I'm at my wits end. Someone please help, can the coolant temperature sensor cause this problem?

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
it could,, but i would suspect it would affect both banks,, not just one

if you can get a scanner on it, put it in data screen and take the wire off the coolant senser, this will make the ecm think its cold and richen up the mixture, you should see your injector pulse with get longer,, if that does happen,, replace the sensor

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
**EDIT**

Give me a moment and I will post what all could be causing the issue you are experienceing with that code.

Here you go:

I will still not rule out the coolant temp sensor as the culprit

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the coolant temp sensor is also the sending unit right? SO, if it was bad then your gauge on the dash would also be out of wack...is this the case?

Now, did you or the mechanic do all the work to the vehicle? If the engine is missing and running rough then it is something more detrimental then a coolant temp sensor...like one of your plug wires is crossed. This could actually be the problem since bank 1 is passenger side and on the 3.3 the coil packs are on the drivers side so all the wires are fished behind the intake plenum. I would go back and check, then double check the firing order is correct.

What brand plug did you install? Champions I hope, if not put champions in it. If they are champions did you check the gap?

Sorry, if you already checked all this but it seems youve replaced alot of parts and the 3.3 is fairly easy to get running smooth BUT it is very plug sensitive, I put Bosch in mine a couple years ago and it was missing within 3k miles!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.