DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326820503

I am thinking about having one of these installed along with my subwoofer. I am not much of an audio guy, so I need some help. I may eventually want to go dual subs down the road. Having one of these installed will make a 2nd sub install or maybe even an amp install pretty simple right? My co-worker also told me having a cap will put less drain on the battery... like when your lights dim when you are running power to audio equiptment.

The digital cap looks nice, tells you how much power you are putting out. :)

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
You shouldn't need a cap with a bazooka tube. I think for every 1 farad cap you should have about 1000w of power. That tube won't put much drain on the battery.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The capasitor doesn't put less drain on a battery. It simply allows for extra power to be avaliable for the times the amplifier draws an excess amount of power. Classic case is a heavy bass song. I have a 700 watt system in my 99 ES and the lights would dime bad with loud bass hits. I put a 1 farad cap in and the everything is fine now. I know this because I have a voltage gauge in my car and can see difference. The best place to buy one is MCM electronics (MCMelectronics.com) and Parts Express. Very cheap to buy from.

http://www.geocities.com/bc42875

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: BC42875 ]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep, the cap will draw power at a constant rate (while at a constant volume level) and will even out the spikes in current draw, stopping your lights from dimming. And it will put less strain on your cars electrical system, but won't necesarily draw less power. And yes, a cap helps enormously. I have a 350 Watt system and I really noticed a difference in the punch of the bass when I added it. If you only have a small amp, then it probably wont make too much of a difference, but if your lights dim then it will help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have 2 1.0 caps ad i have a 300 watt amp and i think thay hep a lot

·
Registered
121 Posts
So, i'm planning to put a 1000 W amp with 2 12" subs. Should i need one of those when i do it??:dozeoff:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I believe the general rule is for every 250 watts (that's RMS value, not that shitty peak value) of power you are running, you should have a 1/4 farad of capacitance. So, for 1000 watts RMS, you may want to go with a 1 farad capacitor.

But that is just a general rule. I have 250 watts RMS and I'm not running a capacitor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts