DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i went to start my car, did the norma wait i have to do for a few seconds when starting, and it like... uh idk how to describe this but when i start my car i have to hold the key to start and wait a few seconds until the engine starts, and today i did like i do usual and it just went silent, and stopped. like no sound, the engine just shut off. and i had to take the key out and start it again. this is the second time its done this. my bf thought it was because i'm on "E" but it did it once before when i had gas, and my BF now thinks its the spark plugs getting covered in oil and gas (i have a gas leak somewhere in the something-or-other) so would that be the problem... other than also needing probably a new ignition staRTER?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I doubt this is engine related. Could just be the ignition unit on your steering wheel is wearing out and the key is losing contact.
Or, your fuel pump is starting to die, or could just have a loose contact. Next time it dies out...check for the noise of the fuel pump since it's electric. If it's on...then I would lean more towards ignition or a clogged filter. If it's off, then you know a contact on the pump is loose or the pump is just on it's last leg.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ive been thinking it was the ignition... my bf's dad had plans to fix up the car before he sold it to us.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So today i went to start my car, did the norma wait i have to do for a few seconds when starting, and it like... uh idk how to describe this but when i start my car i have to hold the key to start and wait a few seconds until the engine starts,
Does this mean when you have the key held in the start position the starter does not immediately engage/crank? Or it just takes some cranking to start the engine?

Also, is this a 3.3 or 3.5? Both the starter solenoid and ignition switches are common and cheap to fix. If you answered yes to the first question then I would lean towards a solenoid first then maybe the switch. If yes to the second question then check the fuel pump out and plugs if its a 3.5.

good luck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i get in my car i'll let the key in the ignition forward and wait about 10-20 seconds before i can start with without it going "rrrrrr" before it catches.
if i've driven it throughout the day, it will catch right away.

now since it does that, i'm nervous how the Black Swan will hold up in Wiscon' winter...

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
so far, to me it sounds like it is taking the fuel pump a few seconds before it builds up any pressure to the rail. if it were the ignition switch, then i think that the pump would intermittently quit while driving (which would cause hesitation/power loss or possibly stalling while driving at any speed). if you can, get a fuel pressure gauge and check to see how much pressure there is in the system when cranking the engine. i do not have a manual in front of me as far as specs go, but i know that some (if not most) fuel injection systems will regulate the pressure based on rpm.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far, to me it sounds like it is taking the fuel pump a few seconds before it builds up any pressure to the rail. if it were the ignition switch, then i think that the pump would intermittently quit while driving (which would cause hesitation/power loss or possibly stalling while driving at any speed). if you can, get a fuel pressure gauge and check to see how much pressure there is in the system when cranking the engine. i do not have a manual in front of me as far as specs go, but i know that some (if not most) fuel injection systems will regulate the pressure based on rpm.
yeah i think its the fuel pump. my BF's dad was saying something about a gas leak with something or other. rail thingy and that it doesnt start right away.
at least that's what my bf tells me.

and also that gas is pumping too much something into something that leaks on spark plugs or something.

ah poor car. i want to save my black swan. ;-;

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
the gas leak is probably the o-rings in the fuel rail and on the injectors that commonly went bad on the first generation engines. the better news about the fuel pump is that if you do have to replace it, there should be an access panel in the trunk underneath the spare tire that will make it possible to replace the pump without having to drain and drop the gas tank.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.

ok another question quick...
i have 2nd generation seats in my car and the passenger one recline is broken and was recalled for that i guess...
since its in a 1st gen car will dodge still fix it for free?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well we went to dodge for one problem (i forget what) and they printed off a recall sheet for my car and the first one was the passenger seat recall in like 2000 or something.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Fuel leak could be the injector O-rings as stated.

The hard starting could be the fuel filter getting clogged up as well. The 1st gens have a fuel filter mounted to the body close to the fuel tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts