DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search button and couldnt really find my answer. Right now I have
I bought this from best buy, its the Viper 160 XV. It says I'm suppose to have *Flashing LED light*Valet switch*Horn Honk output and what not with it. But I dont have any of those. All I have is a keypad with 4 buttons. Lock, Unlock, Remote Start and an AUX button. The AUX button isnt programmed.

Now my question is I want an alarm, can I just add one to my remote or buy just an alarm and not the remote start/keyless entry and all that. So my next question is, what alarm should I buy? I just want a basic alarm.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If its from best buy it might be a return I don't know if you had them install it for you or what, as pictured under the left of the two remotes there is the valet switch and the red led light.

AS far as I know a remote start is a remote start that's it, you cannot add any alarm to it, other than posssibly having having a output/input from a seperate alarm. My car had the DEI 561T remote start unit, but used the factory key fobs to start it, and was tied into the factory alarm.

You will need to buy an actual alarm, you may or may not buy one with remote start capability and either tie it into the 160xv or replace the 160xv. I just replaced my remote start unit, since my alarm came with remote start capability.

Any alarm is basic, do you have any specific needs? LCD remote, do you want a long range, is that important or would it be nice, like would you be getting the most use out of it near your home where you can investigate or out in the world where it's gonna be on its own? Do you have nice rims your worried about or is it stuff inside your car your trying to protect, or is just the car itself? The answers mean different sensors that may or may not be included with a 'basic' alarm.

Just about and DEI alarm is good but so are some other companies, DEI is viper, clifford, hornet, python, or Directed. But people have had good experiences with compustar and codealarm, I've installed one alarm and I can only tell you I like DEI/viper products.

I'd suggest reading a bit on some recommendations for people 'looking for an alarm' here:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_topics.asp?FID=3

Do a search for 'alarm recommendations/suggestions' or 'which alarm' as many people have asked the same question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts