DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having the worse luck with the dodge dealership around me. I guess I should have stuck with my '99 base intrepid instead of trying to acquire an R/T.

I traded in my '99 intrepid for a '01 intrepid R/T. I got screwed bad on that one.
The salesperson I was dealing with tells me they'll pay off my '99, and I'll start fresh with the new car. He asks me to sign paperwork for the credit check, and the loan application. I even ask the business guy when I'm signing the thing. "Does this mean I'm getting the car?" "No", he replies.

The next time I go there, I find out that salesguy is no longer working there. When they finally find the car I was looking for (black R/T, leather, and the works), I find out that when I signed the paperwork, it meant that I had actually bought the car. I didn't get to negotiate a price or nothing.

To make it worse, I also find out that the dealership decided not to pay off my '99, and added the remaining 2000 something dollars to the total of the '01 for me to pay. And basically since I had already signed the paper (that I thought was just to get a loan), I couldn't back out. I've even offered them when I found out without even having gotten in the car, to sell it back to them because I didn't want to pay so much money when I was just fine with my '99. They declined to take back the car. "We don't want it back", I was told.

After holding myself down and not injuring anyone, I take the car home because I figure I have no choice.

... more coming.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
adding to the previous post...

less than a month after I get the car, it's stolen in front of my mom's apartment (the day I'm leaving the country). Some days later while I'm out of the country, the car is recovered. It's damaged. Guess what!?

The dealership's insurance expired before I paid for my insurance premium. So apparently I have to solely pay for the repairs which will go up to as much as $8,000.
Chrysler Financial tells me they should not have let me drive off the lot without insurance for the car. The dealers claim that it's my responsibility to have added the '01 to the '99's full coverage within 3 days after the purchase.

After the car's stolen, I find out that these guys have plates waiting for me at the dealership. In New Jersey, as far as I know, you can't have the car's registration without insurance. It seems they got the car registered with the policy # for the '99. Is that even possible?

Can anyone think of anything I could do so that I won't have to pay a ton of money out of my pocket that I don't even have right now.

This is a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If you can't have the registration without the insurance, than the dealer ****ed up and they should be held accountable. If they registered the car with the policy # of the '99, that may be illegal (I don't know New Jersey law). If it was legal, than that should mean that your new car DOES have insurance, since it was registered. Treat it as they ****ed up, since they did.

I'd also call the Chrysler cutomer service number, threaten to call the local media, and acutally do call the local media to expose the dealer's criminal behavior if the threat doesn't work. I doubt they would want the bad publicity. If future buyers saw this on tv, it would persuade them to go to another dealer, or even another company.

Keep us posted and good luck.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm not going to get into details and I am not a resident of the US however having some experience in the car business and my wife having somewhat more, I can tell you that the difference owing on the 99 would have been tacked on to the negotiated purchase price of the 01. Hence the 01 would cost more than if you had nothing to give them.
As far as what you signed, I don't know what the specifics are. Dealers tend to believe that once you sign for a car, its yours, baby. Not a fair practice, but difficult to fight unless you want the expense of lawyers.
It is so important to read everything before you sign. Even if they tell you something, read it first. If you do not understand legalize, take it home and find a friend or relative who can.
I wish I cah help but not being familiar with New Jersey or US law, I'm sorry.
The best you can do is swallow, bite the dust and know for the next time.
The licensing sounds fishy and maybe the insurance, but you'll get better advice from someone in your state.
Here in Ontario, Canada, one cannot register a vehicle without proof of insurance or signing off a document claiming your policy provider and number. Dealers do not carry insurance on the cars once you take possession. Normally, the dealer transfers or acquirtes the plates for us and we have to submit proof of insurance. In the case of leased vehicles, like mine, my insurance company must fax all the particulars to the dealer prior to them releasing the car.
Sotrry I cannot help anymore.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I figured I wouldn't have been able to do anything about buying the car, since I did actually sign for it. Even if I was told I was signing for something else.

All that remains to be cleared up is the insurance stuff. I just thought to myself. I had let them know that the insurance on my '99 was going to expire, and I'm pretty sure that by the time they would have done the registration, the insurance would have had already expired. I'll have to check on that as well.

Thanks for allowing to vent and get some ideas.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I know in NY, you cannot get a registration without insurance. They have to contact your insurance company in order to register the vehicle. They have to validate that your policy is in effect without a lapse in coverage.

I would advise you take it far...if you thought you had insurance and were not told that you had to change over the details yourself, then whether or not it's "your fault", good business practice dictates that Chyrsler and your insurance company should bite the bullet. They apparently screwed you over on the purchase (which I think you could have gotten out of with the threat of a lawyer/lawsuit for misrepresentation...you were told one thing (that you didn't have the car) and were given another thing (an MSRP full price car along with $2K from your trade in) If the sales person who sold you your car was unable to verify anything that transpired because he no longer worked there, the contract should have been null and void....all you had to say was, "I didn't sign anything..." Who would be there to tell them any different....the guy was gone!

Dealers can be bloodsuckers....that is for sure. Since it is too late to do anything about the purchase, I would fight the insurance issue and use the purchase story as a stepping stool to show how dishonest the dealerhip is.

I can't stand hearing stories like this...I work (at least for the next couple of days) for a mortgage company and I hear all day how brokers just slip papers under people's noses and just tell them to sign. These brokers are getting upwards of $8K for each closing by swindling these people who they rush through closings by having them avoid the "fine print". When I bought my Intrepid, they tried throwing in a 5 year warranty without telling me..."Just sign right here, Mr. Intrepidatious"....(no...I don't think so you money hungry bastard.)

I really feel for you, and can sympathize because of my daily encounters with the same problems. I hope you don't give up...get a lawyer if you have to (but only one who gets paid if you win :) ) And like it was stated in the last post...get the media involved...there's nothing a local dealership would hate more then to have a News van parked in front of their showroom casing a story on a customer getting swindled.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
<< After the car's stolen, I find out that these guys have plates waiting for me at the dealership. In New Jersey, as far as I know, you can't have the car's registration without insurance. It seems they got the car registered with the policy # for the '99. Is that even possible? >>

Well there are two scenario's here.... If the dealership actually made a call into your insurance and got the '01 added to your current policy number.... then your car is insured and your insurance company should cover the comprehensive damages against your deductable.

If your car was *not* insured as you say... in NY like Intrepedacious says its illegal for the dealership to let you drive the car unless the dealer has *written proof* of insurance. I could not tell my dealer... "yeah i insured it". They want proof. In fact.. this is something that hasnt brought up yet... usually not only is it illegal for the dealer to let you drive off without proper insurance.... the leinholder (the loan bank)... usually wants written documentation of insurance WITH their required deductables on comprehensive and collision. I know for a fact you can't get a new car loan on a car that only has basic liability insurance.

The plates waiting at the dealership just means that they were ordered when you bought the car and they are now in. You were probably driving around with temps before.

All in all.... this is the dealer's responsibility. I would definitely go to media with this. Your in NJ? I would make a call to every news company there is. The news stations have segments where they "help out" someone that got screwed. I think one station calls it "On your side".

And the fact that you filled out a credit app and loan app... you bought the car? Thats a load of bullcrap. Dealerships when i was looking at cars... they said i could make a deal that was "subject to trade". Even if i came to agreement for the price of the new car, i could back out if I felt i didnt get fair value for my trade. I didnt sign any loan apps... but its just an application.

I feel really bad for you man.... so bad I just looked over all my paperwork to compare our situations. I bought a new R/T three months ago, so this whole ordeal is still fresh on my mind.

I did sign a loan application and credit app. Its just an application, its not a binding contract. In fact... the day of delivery... in order to *officially* purchase the car.... I had to sign the loan *CONTRACT* (not application)... this listed my interest rate, term, amount financed, payment schedule, HOW MUCH the car cost. Yeah if you sign that... you own the car. I also had to sign a contract from the dealer, and i also had to sign a release waiver on the car i was trading in. I don't see how they could say you bought the car unless you actually signed the dealer contract as well as the actual loan contract and maybe mistaken it for the application.

Any thoughts guys? Sorry for the length.

PS: you never mentioned the dealer's name and location... im curious to know who they are.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had actually sent out an email to one of those TV stations, probably the same night that I got the car because I couldn't sleep. I haven't heard a thing from them.

My next step is to move on the the better business bureau, but I just want to make sure I have all the names I need.

The dealership is in Woodbridge, NJ.
Woodbridge Dodge.

I had a web address for that location, but it won't come up now on the dodge site. I'll let you guys know later.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and sympathy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This may sound stupid, but I always thought that when you bought a car from a dealership you had like 14 days or something like that to return for full refund?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm not sure the length, but I too, thought most states had a law or something that stated you can return your car to a dealer within a certain amount of time??

Could be wrong, though?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's something else I could catch them on, I spoke to the manager of the place and asked them the question (someone had told me about being able to return it withing 7 days), and he denied it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not too sure either, but I think I have heard up to 30 days... But I'm here in washington state where things could be quite a bit different. Where I live, I don't have to worry about emissions and my bank has even admitted to me that they don't check for insurance on financed cars very often. With my car in the shop for a rebuilt tranny, she actually suggested I cancel my insurance or at least drop it to liability (to keep a constant policy going) so I can save up for the tranny since she (and the bank) was not willing to give me a two month extension on my payment to save up. Anyways, I also hate hearing about these stories because I do not like dealerships. I know in washington state, there is a law against "bushing", which is where the dealership tells you that you need to pay more money. I think it also includes them telling you one thing and making you sign another. In my mind, a contract is not just writing on paper. It is an understanding between both parties and needs to be handled more professionally. If a dealership does not practice a professional attitude about the contracts, what good is it? I'm sure the law is flexible enough to see that just because you signed your name to it, doesn't mean you agreed to it. Everybody knows that dealerships are stingy bastards (no offense to anyone that works at one) and what kind of stuff goes on there. I'm sure the judge would understand as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here in Canada, as Pat Sajek states "once u buy a prize, its your to keep!" The only one that may offer some sort of return deal is Saturn but who wants one anyways.
No offence to anyone but haven't the car companies experimented with 30 day refunds with the Mormons in Utah? I guess they are holier than holy!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. If there's a law anywhere about returning a financed car, I'm good because I actually tried to return the car before I even got in it, and was denied.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Metalroar, I bought my Intrepid there!! Denis Adam's Dodge??? Woodbridge? Who was your sales rep? Those ****ers, they pissed me off as well

·
Registered
515 Posts
I forgot to mention I had alot of problems with them giving me bad tires when I bought the car. I work at Autoland on RT 22. But as few of the sales reps and finance managers told me, you have 72 hours to return the car, if they said "we don't want it back" there's something not right about that. Plus, I get alot of paperwork for returned cars before the 72 hours and sometimes after, and they get full refund except certain things like reg, license, and other stuff

·
Registered
515 Posts
hehe, I'm not even sure what my job is there, I just know I get big discounts and I'm supposedly a manager of some sort. I've been working there for over a month now. lol anyone wants a new Intrepid, I'm here to help you get a discount. a 2002 Intrepid came in today btw, no more door lettering. Looks wierd...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry to hear about the pain in the ass over buying a car. When I bought my R/T in May, I truly hated the experience - but I stuck to my lowest offer and we met at an agreeable price yadda,yadda,yadda. You may have a valid complaint (and it doesn't sound like they used any vaseline before screwing you!) If you listen to any talk radio their is a consumer advocate named Tom Martino. His show originates out of Denver but he is now syndicated in over 200 markets (I think) I don't know how to make fancy links or these signatures doodads (someone wanna email me?) but his website is www.troubleshooter.com. I listen to him everyday and am amazed of the results he can get. If you wanted to contact the media, this would surely do the trick since he does name names and numbers. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts