DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 intrepid from a friend 2 months ago. For the past month it's been acting up, stalling everytime I slowed down, turned a corner or put it in reverse. Cruise control didn't stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time. Whenever I pushed on the gas pedal, the car would jerk back and forth repeatedly. Last night I was driving to a town about 16km away to look at a parts car. I was going 110km/h when cruise control turned off. I tried getting back up to my speed but there was no power to the gas pedal. My car was still running. I slowed down to about 60km/h then my car shut off. So I pulled over and let it sit for a bit before trying to turn it back on. It wouldn't turn back on. 3 different trucks tried to boost the battery but it didn't help anything. So I got towed back to where I am staying, and now the battery is completely dead. Locks don't even work. I tried the key dance before it died, the odometer said "p1684" and then "done". I don't know anything about cars and I am 4 hours away from where I live. Someone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts but it hasn't. It also says it isn't a big issue, but my car still won't start. I'm so lost.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
My guess is that it may not be a bad battery but a bad connection instead. That would explain why it gives the code for the battery having been removed even when it hasn't. Try taking apart and cleaning the connections at the ground stud on the passenger side fender and at the positive jump starting connection behind the passenger side headlight. Also wouldn't hurt to go ahead and pull the terminals off at the battery and clean them too. Don't just look at the connections and say it looks clean. Physically disassemble them and clean them with some sandpaper.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if either of your actual battery clamps or cables might be rotted or heavily corroded since you are up north or even have a dead cell in battery from our polar vortex season past.

Almost describes EGR/vacuum leak with the stalling when decreasing speed. When mine went took a long time to finally trip CEL for EGR. Got to the point you described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts