DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing mentions of inspections for cars, either yearly or when sold. I was wondering what they generally check and how they do it. Also, do many states do this? Illinois has no inspection other than an emissions test which is a joke. Good ol Governor Blagoyavich changed the law here in Illinois. Any vehicle that is not OBD ( I think thats 95 and before) does not get tested at all. The vehicles that do get tested are simply plugged in and scanned for codes, and are checked every 2 years. Basically if you haven't seen a check engine light, you pass. But if you drive a beater spewing noxious fumes into the atmosphere. don't worry about it, you don't have to test it anyway. Is Illinois the only state that is so bass ackwards about auto safety and the environment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Massachusetts has inspection every year.... $29.00 you get emissions and safety. Every second year you only have to get safety, still same price. There is a clause that allows cars of a certain year or older only need safety inspections no emissions. Still yet same price. Safety inspection includes : all exterior lights working, horn work, There is good tread on the tires. winshield wipers work. No cracks in any windows. blinkers actually flash. you fail emissions you have 60 days to fix the problem and can drive the car while making repairs. Fail safety, you are not supposed to drive the car at all until safety issue is resolved (not even supposed to drive away from the inspections station) $50 ticket is you are driving with expired, inspections sticker....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Massachusetts has inspection every year.... $29.00 you get emissions and safety. Every second year you only have to get safety, still same price. There is a clause that allows cars of a certain year or older only need safety inspections no emissions. Still yet same price. Safety inspection includes : all exterior lights working, horn work, There is good tread on the tires. winshield wipers work. No cracks in any windows. blinkers actually flash. you fail emissions you have 60 days to fix the problem and can drive the car while making repairs. Fail safety, you are not supposed to drive the car at all until safety issue is resolved (not even supposed to drive away from the inspections station) $50 ticket is you are driving with expired, inspections sticker....
Correction every second year you have to get emissions only .......

·
Registered
321 Posts
Actually states have been getting rid of the safety inspection because they realized it was a waste of time and money. There have been attempts to get rid of it here in NC. So far it has failed. We have a nanny state mentality in Raleigh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No tests at all in North Dakota either, except if you rebuild a wrecked car. Then it is only safty I believe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Missouri has a safety inspection, no emissions testing. They look at running lights, turn signals, brake lights, cracks in windshield in driver's line of sight, brake linings (usually only a front wheel), brake fluid, horn, wipers, tires, exhaust, and any obvious suspension problems.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
florida or atleast where im at theres no saftey or emissions. down here you can drive a car thats just a engine and steel frame if you wanted. but you do need to wear your seatbelt.

·
Registered
550 Posts
florida or atleast where im at theres no saftey or emissions. down here you can drive a car thats just a engine and steel frame if you wanted. but you do need to wear your seatbelt.
Thats funny California is really strict but they don't have a safety inspection. To smog your car they have to dyno it and hook it up to the computer. If your CEL is on you fail but cars from (I think) 1976 or earlier don't need to be tested and if your car isn't over like 5 years old you don't need to test it. I remember when they first added the dyno part the smog check was like $80.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts