DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 3 months the damn thing is running right. figured out where that goddamned 'pop' noise came from when i turn the wheel, swapped a badly needed timing belt (and water pump, didnt need it but everyone i talked to said it was a good idea), installed a new alternator, 2 new idler pulleys, fuel filter, ... got my sights on taking care of the growing valve cover oil leak...but figured the hell with it...the simpsons was on. anyway, found something really interesting with the timing belt...(this has been a persistent problem: car was running OK but idled very poorly..needle would jump violently from 1k rpm to almost stall speed)...then it started doing it when the car was driving down the road, so i parked it for a week (in the hopes it would heal itself! haha :D ...found the time and $$$ to get parts,...pulled the front plate on the motor...and found the REAL reason why its been idling bad. the belt was pretty loose, but i was pretty pissed when i went to loosent the tension even more when i found that the tensioner bolt was missing (nowhere to be found), it hadnt been there for a while (the hole was dirty, looked like the thing was gone for years)....not only THAT, but the 2 dollar part that keeps all of the dirt and crud out of the timing belt area was not there, and had 30k miles worth of grease and dirt adn **** (courtesy of fitzgerald dodge in rockville MD...thanks for that shitty warrantee water pump install last year... :mad: ...anyway, car runs much better, feels a little quicker (but thats maybe just because i avoided mashing the gas and causing even more mechanincal problems...) hope everyone had agood holiday...

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Valhalla 21340 ]

·
Registered
530 Posts
so what caused the pooping noise? don't leave us in suspense :eek:

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
i think i know, cuz my car does the same thing.. there is a bushin on the steering arm from the rack to the tie rod, its a common thing to go bad, only thing is that i've been told that the only way to get a new bushin is to buy new tie rod ends..
;/ i'm gettin ready to be doing the whole brake and suspension on my car soon.. ;) anywho back to my tinkerin

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you're lucky the timing belt didn't come off. i'd take it back to that dodge dealer and give them some serious ****. that's complete BS.

·
Registered
468 Posts
mine idls kind of funny any sugestions
but of course botoming out in a corn feild dosint help either

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wonder if the bushings "shrink" when it is cold as many members say the clunk is more prominent when it is cold?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97sport, i would, but there'd be no way to prove it (job was done over a year ago...believe me, ive gave them hell in the past...when i took it in for the warrantee water pump, i told them to go ahead and change the brake fluid...not only did they not do that job, they "forgot" to put the cap back on the master cylinder... :rolleyes: either way, dont go to fitzgerald dodge in rockville MD, they suck ass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts