DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently noticed this... when I'm breaking, the car will start knocking from about 35/40mph - 15mph. It sounds kind of like you are going over separations in the pavement, except you can feel it knocking the car, and you can hear/feel it on all surfaces.

I also hear a knock when the car is bumped quickly from the road, or if I hit the gas really quick and the car jumps a bit during driving. It doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in, but it does matter the pressure that I put on the break. If it's moderate pressure, the knock is clear and very present, w/sometimes even kind of a rattle along with it. If it's HARD pressure on the break, then usually the knock doesn't kick in.

Also, if I'm breaking moderately and get the knock, the car is NOT jumping around... it breaks smoothly (unless it's 4th gear) but I still hear a knock and feel it. So, I either hear then when the car is bumped quickly, or when I'm smoothly breaking w/moderate pressure.

Anyone know what this might be??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where is the "knocking" coming from? Your engine? What year is the car? It sounds similar to what happened to me. Check the bushings in the front where the frame attatches to the body. I just had mine replaced recently and the bushings were only about $30 but there is no after market. When you hit a bump in the road does it feel loose? Hopefully that's the problem since it is cheap enough to fix. Mine is a 96 and the bushing were almost completely gone from dry rot.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it feels like it's coming from the front of the car in the middle.. I'd say it feels like it's coming from the engine.

What are the bushings and how can I check them?

It's on 01..

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'd say street race as much as you can and ignore the speeding tickets, this is a sure way to take care of the engine knocks.......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that 98... you being a dick helps me out a lot!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't knock anymore.... not sure why.. it just stopped....

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
'Trep fairies...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts