DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After unsuccessfully trying to get some big scuffs and scratches out of my trunk lid and rear bumper, I am considering getting a can or 2 of the paintscratch.com color-matched paint and trying to repaint at least small sections of each area. I also would like to shave my trunk lock while i'm at it. Anyone have any tips on either task? I painted a door for my sister-in-law a while ago, but didn't get it back to the perfect shine of the rest of the car. Thanks, I appreciate any help!

Josiah

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
i dont think its possible...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
to get it to look the same, and to last, you would need to sand the paint off, prime it, paint it, and then use clearcoat, but then it still wont match, because of the age and so on... as for the trunk loc, you will need to take the lock cylinder out of there, then out of sheetmetal cut out a piece to fit in the hole, weld it on there, grind it down...and then start all over with the paint...id say, dont do it...if you wanna do anything about that, maybe use some touch up paint and paint over the black area and get it to match more..
Andrei

·
Woober Goobers!
50,354 Posts
Another thing to consider is that you have a dark colored car. After it's been outside for quite awhile exposed to the sun and elements the paint will definately have faded somewhat. The paint you'll get in the spraycan will probably be darker and will look darker than the rest of your car. I've seen a few "professional" paint jobs where they've sprayed just a fender or the hood and the difference is obvious in sunlight. Most of the time a body shop does a pretty good job of color matching the existing paint. The top clear coat will also be an issue as you mentioned with your sisters car. My recomendation is to save some money up and take it to a reputable body shop and get it done right. I know it's not cheap but you won't kick yourself in the ass later for having 2 or 3 different shades and gloss levels of paint!! They can also do the trunk lock removal and make it look OEM. It's basically a matter of how much you want to spend now or how much MORE you want to spend later!!

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Body shops and professional painters are able to blend new paint into existing paint. Its really not that difficult but it's next to impossible with rattle can paint. As someone who's painted quite a few cars and accessories, I would advise against this...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts