DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here is the problem that I have:

I had 1G Intrepid 1995 which I bought with 148000km and was retired after an accident in 2005 with over 300.000km. The car worked perfect with just one complaint--IT NEVER WENT STRAIGHT. It was pulling to the right always.

Things done on the car during the lifetime that didn't make any difference:

New tires.
Front suspension changed.
New shocks.
Alligment performed by more than one store.

No luck.

2000 ES 2.7L 55000km replaced the old one.
SAME PROBLEM.
The car is pulling to the right but there is more to it this time.

Alligment performed, front suspension perfect condition.
Now the catch.

I know that the streets are not flat so the water doesn't stay but the car pulls to the right on a road that looks pretty flat to me and it doesn't happen with my sister's civic and my father's passat on the same spot.

and then I tried on a quiet street on the left hand side and was pulling to the left this time.

That tells me I have two problems, one is that it actually pulls to the right and the other is that for some reason the whole weight of the car gets pulled to the side of the road and I have to always pull the steering wheel to the opposite side.

This should not be happening and I appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You are correct, this should not be happening.

Our car also does this but only in the winter. A few times I'd drive the wife's LHS and think, this needs an alignment. Lucky for me I'm lazy and ignore the problem and same as last year, it went away after we swap back to it's summer tires.

I know you tried new tires but you may want to try swapping your tires left to right. Front only to see what happens to the pull.

I'd drop it off at it's next alignment shop with specific instructions. You are not here for a routine alignment but to correct a pull you've had since you bought the car.

Keep us updated.

J

·
0 Posts
I have the same goddamn problem. On the long drives I will find my left thumb hurting because of minimal but constant pressure input I have to have on the steering wheel.
And I know it's not the road, because my Jeep doesn't do the same (06 Commander), and my 1991 Toyota MR2 doesn't do it. It's straight as an arrow on the same roadways that my Corde pulls to the right.

I had the whole suspension replaced, as you, the steering, the tires, the shocks, different brand tires, everything except for the steering rack.
Mechanics that have look at it said that Chrysler racks are not that great, and do have a tendency to wear and pull to either side. So, maybe that's what it is. But You won't catch me spending $500 for a new rack that will do the same thing after 30K miles.

I just ignore the problem. Which is the ONLY thing right now that's annoying on my car, everything else I have fixed.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Same here, mine pulls noticeably with the winter treads on (even after re-aligning), but with the summer treads it's straight as an arrow!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys.

Now I know that I'm not going crazy.
It's not really a big problem but annoys the hell out of me since everything else about the car is nothing shorter than perfect and because of this sometimes I don't want to drive the car. THIS SUCKS.

I was also told that new tires might cause simillar problem so I'm not about to put new tires on the car. I have to live with it until I buy the 300c one day. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Interesting thread-
Still should've been in the First Generation Section...
Re-reading it was even better- thought you must have hooked up
a bad crowd on your commute...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
MIne has the same problem. My dad still thinks im insane for complaining about this problem. Chrysler wont even listen anymore.

I just no longer look at the steering wheel, i just look at the road. Its a few degrees off, now maybe its the steering wheel but if i hold the wheel perfectly straight (emblem) then the car will drive a bit to the left.

So my wheel is always slanted, its a pain especially when aiming my HID headlights, i cant drive in a straight line. DC should fix this problem somehow, maybe its just the steering wheel that's out of alignment i dunno.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
alarkyokie said:
Interesting thread-
Still should've been in the First Generation Section...
Re-reading it was even better- thought you must have hooked up
a bad crowd on your commute...

Actually, no, as he is saying it about his 2000 intrepid (he was just making a reference to the fact that it used to do it to him in his 95)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct,

I started the thread because I encountered the same problem on my 95 and 2000 intrepid which is the latest car I have. This was strange to me, two cars, two generations and same problem but by reading the above statements it seems that I'm not alone on this one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I can dig it!
And I had a '95 that color!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts