DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go over those metal parts on draw bridges my car really scares the **** out of me.......because almost everytime I end up slipping into the other lane or towards the barrier. This is really starting to worry me because if god forbid I hit someone we are on a godamn bridge!!!!!!! Does anyone else experience this and do you guys think putting the car into third gear would provide better traction?? I have a 98 Concorde LX without traction control but ABS. THX:mg:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Yeah, check your tire tread depth. If they are severely worn, I'd recommend replacing them.

Also.. make sure you're not taking a bridge rated at 50mph @ 100mph instead.. :p Speed limits are usually there for a reason. :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Which tires did you buy? Some cheaper tires are known for absolutely terrible grip. Please provide the make and model name of the tire, as well as the size. :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
:devil:
I go over the Jamestown bridge and the Newport bridge (the bridge you see Jim Carrey driving over on the motorcycle in Me Myself and Irene) 5 times a week. No problems wet or dry...
:devil:

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have wide tires and do have some grab and pull when crossing metal draw bridges in charleston, but nothing out of the ordinary or unsafe. i think slowing down and putting two hands on the wheel should reduce that problem

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have pirelli p400 tires, I think they are 205 size. They are fairly new and my car was just aligned and everything. Maybe I just need to break them in a little more?:confused:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah, I think the tread on your brand-new tires is gripping into the bridge sections like on a severely rutted roadway. Take it slow 'cause the surface below the tread isn't really meant to be driven on.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
P400's are good tires. I have them on my wife's 93 Vision and they've been great in all kinds of weather.

I ride over that stuff everyday with no problem.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I agree with nightravin....sounds like it might be an alignment issue. Did you notice any wear spots on your old tires, like on the inner or outer tread?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car was aligned right after my tires were installed..so I don't think thats an issue. I only have 200 miles on them so ill see how they break in....and if they don't then I'm gonna have to blow another $300 on tires.:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never had a problem w/ the intrepid on bridges. I am also in RI, actually Jamestown, between our two big bridges that Loud98ES mentioned. Another thing that might be wrong is a loose bushing, tie rod, control arm etc. in the fron end. Is it a little loose while you're driving at highway speeds?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts