DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago my 95 got totaled, and now I have to find a replacement. I am not sure what to get though, a first, or second generation. What motor should I get. I had a 3.5, and was very happy with it, is it the engine of choise, or would any engine be ok. I would really like some input on this, as I only had mine for 6 months, but loved owning it, and would really like to get another.

STEVE

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
go with what you know, if you like the 3.5, stay with it, think of the options that you had, and the options that you would like to have, and go from there.

sorry to hear about the car

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
:mg: I sincerely hope no one was hurt ...

I've owned a '96 Concorde 3.3L for almost three years and have owned an '02 Trep R/T 3.5L-HO for the past two weeks. I drive 45 miles (round-trip) to work - mostly freeway @ 70mph. I seldom transport other pass. or cargo.
The Concorde has been a nice, solid car - 23mpg, plenty of pedal for passing, and it'll run 90mph all day long with a ride that's smooth. But going that fast does push the engine a little when going uphill.
The Trep has a ton more power which makes it really fun to drive!:biggrin: It can go from 60-90 so fast it was a little scary at first, and it's got a really stable ride at high speed - better than the Corde. But ... 19mpg at best - so far. Of course, my driving habits have changed a little ...:blush:

If you want something to play with or if you transport pass. and/or cargo - stick with the 3.5L. If you just need a solid car for work the 3.3L has served me very well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Fireguy said:
Two days ago my 95 got totaled, and now I have to find a replacement. I am not sure what to get though, a first, or second generation. What motor should I get. I had a 3.5, and was very happy with it, is it the engine of choise, or would any engine be ok. I would really like some input on this, as I only had mine for 6 months, but loved owning it, and would really like to get another.

STEVE
Might I ask how you totaled it? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one was hurt. If you can believe it, I was hit in a parking lot. The front fram was bent about 8 inches, and although the car was repairable, the repairs are more than the car is worth to the insurance company.

What about the 2.7?
I really liked the power that I had with the 3.5 too. I also test drove a 99 last night with a 2.7, and although it ran well, I found that the cars interior seemed smaller, although specs on the car show it to be basically trhe same size as a first gen.

Plese keep the info comming, I would like a lot of input.

Steve

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The 2.7 gets very mixed reviews. It all depends on how well the previous owners have taken care of it and a little bit of chance. Some people have had no problems at all, but many others have ended up with trashed engines. So just to avoid possible problems go with the 3.2 or the 3.5 (second gen). Obviously if you can go for the 3.5 because its just more fun.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are ok. Now ummm......since you said the front frame was damaged and it is repairable but costs too much to fix........why not help fund your new car purchase and a few guys here by........parting out some of your........parts! Buy/Sell/Trade forum is the place to be, selling parts is the life for me (sung to Green Acres)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Fireguy said:
get a 300M special edition :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
a 2002 or newer ES or R/T comes with the 3.5L engine, a very good engine on all accounts.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
i suppose the most imprtant question in helping you out with what car to buy is to ask what your price range is? As partyboy said, a 300M Special would be an amazing choice. Even some of the new Platinum edition chryslers are real sharp. 2nd best choice might be a second gen RT, or if you like what you had, you cant go wrong with another first gen. Keep it in the family though!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First let`s address the parting out option. When the insurance company writes off the car, they pay you, and then they take over ownership, so me selling parts is out of the question. If it was an option, I would rebuild the car myself.

The insurance company is only giving me $5000.00 for the car, so my budget for the replacement is only slightly higher at $7000.00 and we are talking in Canadian dollars. I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Cirrus ,for a good price, and I`m considering doing that. I will always be able to sell it for what I paid for it, and I can wait for the right deal to come along on an Intrepid. Does anyone have any input on the Cirrus, or the 2.5 V6

Thanks once again,
Steve

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Oh you had full coverage....out of my price range here in good ole NYC (we have the highest rates in the country). I don't know about the Cirrus, but a Sebring is nice. I also recommend checking some of the online sites like autotrader.com and maybe ebay for a better gauge on prices. You might be able to find a nice Trep there in your price range.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I agree with timdawg ... check on-line prices. I found my R/T using Cars.com. It took about two weeks of searching but even with $500 shipping it was cheaper than local dealers - and I found just the car I wanted, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts