DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Corde' has been acting kinda strange the past few days and yesterday it had a few episodes where it would turn over and over but wouldn't start. It happened today 3x! The starter/alternator seem fine. It kinda acts like it isn't getting fuel or a spark.....

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
unkut2003 said:
It kinda acts like it isn't getting fuel or a spark.....
How many miles are on the car? if it's past 60k, I'd try the spark plugs first.

·
9,861 Posts
crombie said:
How many miles are on the car? if it's past 60k, I'd try the spark plugs first.
Agreed. Especially if it's happening only in cold weather.

Make sure you don't floor the throttle when trying to start it. That will cut off all fuel and spark to the engine. A little throttle can help though.

EDIT:Blah. He posted at the same time. Nevermind.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when and if it starts it sounds like it's going to die out and the car vibrates bad. Then when I did get it to run and drove away it felt like I was running on 4 cylinders instead of six, if that makes sense! Also, the check engine light not only came on but was flashing, why?

·
Registered
753 Posts
how about the fuel filter, has it been changed ?

·
9,861 Posts
CEL was flashing? What are your codes?

Either you are misfiring bad, or its cam/crank position...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My guess is the camshaft position sensor....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ran a diagnostic test on it and got:

2 bad 02 Sensors
Low Speed Radiator Fan Control Circuit Problem

I wonder if the 02 Sensors could be completely failed and causing this???

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
well damn does it seam to stumble over itself ? like almost kick over you hit gass and it does nothing ?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
unkut2003 said:
Well I ran a diagnostic test on it and got:

2 bad 02 Sensors
Low Speed Radiator Fan Control Circuit Problem

I wonder if the 02 Sensors could be completely failed and causing this???
At the local Autozone 02 sensors are rather pricey. But then again that is for Bosch 02 sensors. (I shop alot there don't I?) ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crombie said:
At the local Autozone 02 sensors are rather pricey. But then again that is for Bosch 02 sensors. (I shop alot there don't I?) ;)

Yeah they are like $75 a piece or so! Then if that isn't the problem I'm out $150 and the time that it took to do it, lol! :doh:

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
unkut2003 said:
Yeah they are like $75 a piece or so! Then if that isn't the problem I'm out $150 and the time that it took to do it, lol! :doh:
That may be true, but you can then rule them out as being the problem. That and 02 sensors help big time with fuel effiency. :)

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I don't think the flashing CEL was caused by the bad 02 sensors. I think you were misfiring bad eariler and it might have something to do with a crank or cam sensor thats on its way out. I remember when my cam sensor went out it just stalled here and there, then would shutter and die. Replaced it and all is good as new.

I do not beleive that you can physically screw with the timing of the engine when a sensor goes bad, the computer simply cannot read it and it gets you the error code and bad performance.

--Gorm

·
9,861 Posts
This has nothing to do with O2 sensors.

Are you sure those are all the codes you had? Try checking the codes right after you have driven it and made the CEL flash. Or get an scan at autozone after it has been flashing.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
And even with all that you still did this????
unkut2003 said:
Well this morning I decided to see what the 'Corde could do. I got it up to 120 and the needle was officially burried! It was still accelerating but I got to nervous to keep going, lol!

[/IMG]
....I have nothing against you and you know it, but that wasn't very smart especially if you knew that the car was acting funny, you are lucky that you didn't break anything else......anyways.........I would say that this is probably a camshaft sensor too. It did that on my dad's (well except the dying part) it would shake just before shifting and was running on 4 cylinders also.....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I noticed that this only seems to happen after the car has warmed up. Like if I drive from home to the store and then go to start it when leaving it does it! Also, is there any way to test the cam or crank sensor?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
unkut2003 said:
Also, is there any way to test the cam or crank sensor?
The orange wire on the crankshaft sensor is the power wire, the black one is the ground wire. With the ignition in the ON position it should read 8 volts. If u get something like 7.7 thru 8 that is acceptable.
The camshaft sensor is the same thing. Wires are the same for this procedure.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
crombie said:
The orange wire on the crankshaft sensor is the power wire, the black one is the ground wire. With the ignition in the ON position it should read 8 volts. If u get something like 7.7 thru 8 that is acceptable.
The camshaft sensor is the same thing. Wires are the same for this procedure.

Thanks a lot! I will get at it this weekend. How hard are those to change?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts