DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear that washing your car and using soap can cause it to rust faster? I heard that when I was a youngin and just got to thinking about it. The story went kinda like not to wash to often and use as little of soap as possible.
I use a california duster as much as I can but.......

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
that may of been true on older cars, (fondly remembers many ramblers with rusted out upper fenders) but the newer cars with advanced steel,, plastics etc,, id say wash yourself silly,,,

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Dudley said:
The story went kinda like not to wash to often and use as little of soap as possible.
I use a california duster as much as I can but.......
You should always use enough soap to make suds. If you don't, you are rubbing dirt into the paint. I use the duster also. Very good product.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That myth was probably made up by a lazy ass who tried to justify not washing their car. If you leave the dirt on there long enough it'll damage the paint (salt especially for those who live in northern or shoreline areas).

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
padredestino said:
If you leave the dirt on there long enough it'll damage the paint (salt especially for those who live in northern or shoreline areas).
That's why I love Chicago in the winter. LOL. Believe it or not, it is better to keep the salt on your car when it is very cold out because if you wet it and mix it with salt you are making the rust appear faster. It sounds stupid but it is the truth.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
fearless 2000 said:
That's why I love Chicago in the winter. LOL. Believe it or not, it is better to keep the salt on your car
when it is very cold out because if you wet it and mix it with salt you are making the rust appear faster. It sounds stupid but it is the truth.
I agree if you are not driving your car. But if you do drive your car especially during those freeze/thaw cycles then you need to wash that salt off because all you are doing is splashing salt wayer all over the place and it tends to build up on the underbody.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
This kind of grows out of an old myth with some truth in it.

Washing with the wrong soap can cause rusting and paint deterioration. Excessive washing only makes it worse when using the wrong soap.

This is from s time when most people would grab the soap off the kitchen counter or the laundry room and go at it. The problem with these are that they contain elements that are actually quite caustic to steel. They are also designed to be agressive grease and stain cutters. In other words, they strip the wax and rust protection products (if you use them) right off the vehicle. Newer treatments to body panels and structure help in combatting this effect, but you should never use laundry or dish soap on a vehicle.

Use an automotive grade soap (mothers, meguiers, etc) designed for cars and wash until your arms fall off!

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's the action of your pre-rinse (removing the REALLY big particles) and the movement of the washing utensil that removes the dirt. Soap is only for lubrication and to help the water carry the dirt down and off the car. When washing, you don't have to rub your mitt over the same spot more than once. A single swipe does the trick!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great White said:
In other words, they strip the wax and rust protection products (if you use them) right off the vehicle. Newer treatments to body panels and structure help in combatting this effect, but you should never use laundry or dish soap on a vehicle.
Exactly what I had always heard.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
What is this salt that you northerners speak about.
snow salt. it helps melt the snow on the roads fast but reaks havic on your paint. basically its tiny rocks covered in crystalized salt plow trucks toss around. as you drive it get gunked up in your wheel wells and side skurts. which if you don't monitor close enough with start to take its toll on your paint job. especially if you have a white car. awww I remember the days.

edit: some places use a sand like substance. I think I was in boston or buffolo when I seen this. the local folks said itsas good as salt and doesn't do as bad a number on your paint but will have you worried about your intake, exhaust and cabin air filters getting clogged. I didn't drive when I was there so maybe someone from boston or buffolo can chime in on that.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it comes from Florida when they have their Hurricanes it gets blown into the atmosphere and lands in the northern states. . :D

As far as leaving salt on your car if its dry?? It is still caustic and with any moisture in the air it will be corroding you paint, etc. I always get salt off my car if at all possible. Even if it is just a plain water power spray at the coin car wash.
kcarlos2000 said:
What is this salt that you northerners speak about.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I can always tell a northern car, just by getting down to where I can see underneath. No matter how clean you keep it, or how well waxed, the undercarriage, exhaust, and suspension is going to rot away.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Dodgaholic said:
I can always tell a northern car, just by getting down to where I can see underneath. No matter how clean you keep it, or how well waxed, the undercarriage, exhaust, and suspension is going to rot away.
The next time I am down in Tampa or you are here, I will show you my Trep. It looks awesome for a 2000. I am the exception I guess. JVH1982 is another one who keeps his looking good here in Chicago.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Texas car here! Rust? What's that? :D

What we lack in rust we trade in for these little fine light scratches from sand storms and hail dents. Panel warping from the heat is not too unheard of.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Texas car here! Rust? What's that? :D

What we lack in rust we trade in for these little fine light scratches from sand storms and hail dents. Panel warping from the heat is not too unheard of.
I am going to buy a 2002 WS6 Trans Am down there in a few years.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember seeing a Caddy with the Chome bumper rusted clear thru. We cant keep a car up here if we drive it in the winter.
Dodgaholic said:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts