DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. 95 3.3L, heres the deal:

When i try starting the engine i crank it for about 3-5 seconds no start. then i crank it again and it starts beautifully. Why aren't i getting that beautiful start on the first try? I changed plugs and wires about a month ago(NGK) I didn't bother gapping the plugs, the car still runs mint. This problem was still occuring when i had my old plugs in so im not sure if its my plugs. Maybe a coil pack? Ill pick one up from the scrap yard. Or im assuming a clogged fuel injector or not enough fuel pressure from the fuel pump? I was thinking about buying injector cleaner that u put in ur gas tank and eventually cleans ur injectors. let me know guys.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Something with the fuel me thinks, try the cleaner, if that doesnt fix anything, check the pump,filter, regulator, injectors, rails, all that stuff.

Reactions: DKILLA

·
Registered
660 Posts
When you start it the first time do you just turn the key and crank right off?
Try turning it on and waiting2-3 second and then try and see what happens.

First this does let the Fuel Pressure build up but that might not be your problem anyway. I would check your FP anyway and see what it is. You could have a weak FP or failing pressure regulator. The reg. adjust to a high and low pressure for idle and cruise off vacuum and can fail.

But the main reason I suggest this is when you first power up the PCM it takes readings from the map sensor and zero's with the engine not running. I have noticed on mine that if I give it a sec. to calibrate it seem to start quicker. If I crank to soon and let go of the key to fast before it has started I have had small backfire before. Giving it the sec. or two prevents this.

Reactions: DKILLA

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'd put on a new fuel filter if it was me, to see if that cures it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im thinking a new fuel filter too. dont think we've ever changed it since we got the car in 2000.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had the same problem, until i changed the fuel pump this weekend, it's start on the first crank but it's still rough. i'm changing the plugs and cleaning my throttle this weekend to see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts