DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering if my 96 intrepid Es would be able to pass the emissions test in canada ontario if i remove the main big cat and that huge silencer underneath the car. i want to remove those 2 and be left with the two cats on the header pipes and pull 2 straight pipes all the way down and put 2 exhausts( magnaflow dual tip) on each side.
can i do it or not????:confused:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
take out the cat and you'll fail

the rest of the stuff doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah, your definatly going to need you cat converters in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to mention that your check engine light will come on. You should have downstream post cat O2 monitors in your car. You will fail emissions big time.

As a matter of fact, if a repair facility removes a cat converter and does not replace with one there is a $1500 fine from the EPA. No joke.

Truth

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes, it would be a bad idea....new cars are made to run with the Cats in place because of the O2 sensors and the backpressure....not to mention the fine from the EPA.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't think we get fined that much (or at all) in Canada for no cats (not sure though)

IMO it's not worth it to pollute 10x more for 2hp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well ok...i guess i wont' take out the cat....but i still think that taking out the big sillencer is OK..right? I mean all that thing does is eliminate sound anyway..right???

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
the 3rd cat is AFTER all oxygen sensors. so you won't throw a check engine light.

You WILL lose SOME backpressure...... I don't know how much that will affect driveability though.

I don't know if you will be able to pass emissions or not... some areas are tighter than others.. and the pre-cats DO do SOME work.... (they are mainly for cold starts tho....).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You could take out the silencer, but I heard you do lose some low end torque, but then again there are no dyno's to prove it.

Mine is probably going to fall off this summer, if it does I will go mandrel bent all the way back to the resonator and dyno it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts