DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I work for a computer store and we buy OEM NEC CD-RW drives to install into customer's machines. This particular machine is being a royal pain in the ass. Its an athlon 1ghz tbird running win98 se. The cd-rw works fine except on direct cd to cd copies. When the cd is finished copying, it just says "Cd" under my computer and nothing more. We can use direct cd to burn cd's all the time with data from his HD, no problems.

We've tried roxio 5 basic and platinum. Upgraded the software and all, still can't get it to work. No firmware upgrades to do the drive either... Latest VIA Chipset drivers also and all windowsupdate upgrades done..

I'm stumped.. :confused:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chances are if both drivers (CW and CD) are on the same IDE cable, that it's having problems with the wait_time between one device to another. Check under the device manager to see if the drive are in DMA or PIO-mode. If they're both in PIO, and it's on a motherboard (depending on age) that only runs ATA 33 or even 66, it may not have enough throughput to transfer data like that.

I can do CD-to-CD fine on an ATA-100 board. See if that isn't the problem.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Originally posted by Starscream:
I work for a computer store and we buy OEM NEC CD-RW drives to install into customer's machines
NEC??? those overpirced packard-bells are still sold?? and I thought it was bad that lite-on was still in business..

seriously though, what happens if you run the burner by itself on a 2nd ide channel? If you must daisy chain be sure they are jumped correctly, don't expect cable select to always be right

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i run my burner on a 2nd ide cable all by itself. i am even on ATA100 and running the burner and cd-rom on a single cable is NOT good...burner gets many more errors.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, we tried using them on the same IDE cable and different cables. They're both on separate cables now. Like I said, the drag and drop using adaptec's file burner works, we just can not get the cd to cd copying to work. Winows reads it as "Cd" as the title everytime. The copying process completes successfully (so it claims) each time also.

Yuck.. I was afraid we'd have to come to installing Nero on a novice's machine. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts