DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this Pioneer AM/FM Cassette deck and 6 disc changer for 6 years now. Was in my old truck then a '98 caravan and now my '01 trep. I've never had any problems with the changer up until last week. For the past year, its been sitting in my closet along with the headunit. About 3 weeks ago I finally got around to installing the deck. Piece of cake since it was already wired for DC from the caravan. Running the changer wire to the trunk was a little tricky but I got it in there. Well, I mounted the changer up underneath the rear deck on the passenger side of the trunk. Last week on a really hot day, the changer started changing speeds when I first turned it on. I switched discs and it shut down the headunit. After I turned it back on it was fine. A day later it started acting crazy again so when I got home I dropped it down a few inches because I thougth it might have gotten too hot right up against the deck but here and there it'll still act up. Tonight, it first shut down the headunit, then it just stopped playing the disc and wouldn't let me change discs, then it stopped on a track and jumped back to the track before the one it stopped on. When I got home, I moved the mount forward, away from the speaker and I relocated the ground to a bolt that holds the bracket for the antenna in the trunk. I played catch while letting the thing play and it played the same disc for 10 straight tracks and not a single problem. I've checked the discs and they're all fine. I don't understand. It seems like the changer acts crazy while the engine is running. Tomorrow we'll see if there is any more issues. Has anybody ever heard of strange **** like this before?? I've checked all the wiring and all the discs and there's no problem with any of them. And at first, I thought heat might be the issue but it didn't get that warm today, like mid 60's and last week a couple days were close to 80 if not 80. Is it getting too hot in the trunk? Is it too close to the speaker?? Grounding issue? My brother told me to shove it under the seat and see if it acts up under there. Thats my next plan if it happens again.
When I had it in my truck, first it was under the seat then behind the seat and never any problems, not even a skip going over bumps. When it was in the caravan it was mounted under the seat and same, never skipped or anything. Very weird.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Has the changer been mounted in the same position each time (i.e. vertical or horizontal)? This can play a major factor in the changer playing as the suspension mechanism needs to be possitioned properly. It could explain why it plays fine just sitting, but not when traveling...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it was under the seat of my truck and my caravan, it was flat on the floor. When I mounted behind the seat in the truck, it was vertical and I adjusted the screws on the sides accordingly. In the trunk of my trep, its mounted flat just like under the seat except its suspended from above instead of flat on the floor. The screws are set for horizontal position. This morning on the way to work, 20 minute drive, not a single problem. I usually leave at 2:30 for my second job, but today I have a doctor's appointment between jobs, so it'll actually be a 15 minute drive instead of the usual 5 minutes between jobs. We'll see if anything strange happens today.
Its just very strange because it doesn't seem like anything in particular caused each of the instances. A few of the times, I had just started the car and hadn't even put in drive yet. And during yesterday's drive, there wasn't a bump or anything that might have caused it either, just smooth driving. Stumped. Whatever happens this afternoon, I'll post and if no other problems, then i dunno.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I posted on this cd changer issue awhile back and I'm still having problems. About a month ago, I moved it from the trunk to under the passenger seat. sometimes the changer and hu will shutdown in the middle of a song. It'll stop, like it was paused, stay like that for a few seconds then the hu shuts down. Sometimes when I get back in the car and start it, the hu will be off, when I left the power on when I parked it earlier. Most of the time, I have to push the reset button on the cd changer to get it to work again. Its a Pioneer 6 disc that goes with the pioneer hu. I can't figure. At first I thought the heat in the trunk or in the car, after I moved it, was causing problems with the changer. But this morning it was only about mid 60's here, unlike the 90 plus the last few weeks. Anybody seen anything like this before??? This hu and changer worked fine in the last 2 vehicles and sat in my closet for about a year before I put it in the trep. I don't know what else to look at. The only thing different (other than the vehicle its in) is I used a different cable to connect it. The one in the van was damaged when I tried to remove it and had to get another one. I wonder if I got a bad wire??

·
Registered
715 Posts
have you ever had them cleaned? i had an old kenwood cassette head unit and cd changer and it began acting up.--it never shut down though-- i also ended up purchasing a new cable to run between them when they were cleaned, so that could have easily been the problem. after i had them both cleaned, and new cable, they worked fine for the year until i sold them with the car.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the discs are fine, i opened the changer and made sure there wasn't dust or anything causing problems. Now today between jobs (about a 10 minute drive) no problems at all. But it is a little cooler today than it has been. I dunno. I can't tell if its something with the hu or the changer. Whenever it happens, the hu shuts down. After I turn it back on, all i can use is the radio and the cassette, it won't even switch to the cd, until it resets itself or i do. I have no idea.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It sounds like a problem with the changer or the new cable you mentioned. But I can't begin to tell you what exactly it may be...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, over the weekend I added another ground wire. I attached it to the side of the changer thru one of the threaded holes and the other end to the seat bolt. I did verify that the hole grounded the chassis of the cd changer. It seemed to work fine for a day or two but yesterday it started to screw up again. I dunno. I think something happened to it while it was stored in my closet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts