DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting a CD changer into the trunk of my Trep. While I'm not a big CD fan, my family (and mostlly the kids) have a fair collection. Are there any brands I should definitely STAY AWAY from?? I'm not looking for one that will hold more than 6 CD's. I do want a good quality unit that isn't going to skip on every bump or die an early death.

Thanks in advance!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you don't want to spend alot of cash but still have a fair amount of quality get a JVC or Kenwood. Stay away from any of those shitty "Brand X" ones at places like Wal*Mart. You could also check around at www.crutchfield.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ALWAYS willing to NOT spend alot of cash!! I'll check out the recommended brands, and the web site from home. :)
BTW - Congrats on the moderator position!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the pioneer SHAMU Head unit and its connected to a 12 disc in the back. And i my system thumps and it never skips a beat.

What head unit do you have bro.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the lengthy delay in the response, but my login kind of vanished when the site was moved. Even after Randy fixed that, the site still doesn't recognize that I login when I DO login. Anyway....... I have the stock Infinity head unit in my Trep with the 8 speaker system. (I'm not too much of an audiophile) I did a little checking on the Crutchfield site, and didn't really see much, or much I wanted to pay for. ( You gotta understand, I'm a RADIO fan[I was an announcer in a prior existence....about 25 years ago], so I don't haul a lot of tapes or CD's around with me). I checked out the car audio section of my local Best Buy, and they had changers from $99 (Sony 10 disc) to $179 Pioneer 10 disc). All of which were cheaper than Crutchfield's prices. HOWEVER... the installation w/parts was $115!!! As someone who put in his own FM Radios/tape decks/CB (yup)radio's as a teeneager, that seemed like alot. Plus the sales-kid said that if I use the stock head unit, my sound quality will only be as good as the FM radio (not that I care alot, my FM sounds damn good to me).
Am I being too blasted cheap??? Perhaps, but like I said, I'm a radio guy, I like to keep up with what's going on from time to time. I only hit a tape or CD if I'm really in need of a particular music fix. I will try to keep my eye open for deals (there's always Father's Day). How tough is it to install the changer?? The car is supposed to be wired for it, but I haven't looked for the connections. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have a Sony FM modulated changer. I'm not to thrilled with the sound, but most likely that's because of megablasting window rattling 4 speaker stock setup.:tongue:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like the setup in my '92 S-10 Blazer!! Only IT has static on both the AM AND the FM!! Guess I should check the ground connections on that beast. Not real critical, though. My daughter will probably start driving the Blazer soon, and if she doesn't like the sound system.... hey, she's working!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
GiftHorses said:
( You gotta understand, I'm a RADIO fan[I was an announcer in a prior existence....about 25 years ago]
Sounds like somebody should get an aftermarket deck with satellite radio. :biggrin:

In my Sundance I had a Clarion 6-disc changer. It hardley ever skipped (even with these Michigan pot holes :bigsmile: ) The only time it did skip was if I hit a HUGE hole at a good speed (which I don't recommend doing with or without a CD changer :) )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rather hit those potholes with the CD changer than with the Trep!!! Unless the pothole is already filled with a small import car. I was looking for the Clarion decks when I was checking out the stuff at Best Buy, but they didn't have any. The reason I was trying to find them was because another member in an earlier post mentioned that the Clariou stuff was rated pretty good by Consumer Reports, thougn it may not have been the CD changers. Personally, I have never thought too highly of Clarion, but my experience with them is rather dated, and their quality may have improved since then. Did you put that puppy in by yourself, or did you have it installed??

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Warlord187 said:

Sounds like somebody should get an aftermarket deck with satellite radio.
I can't wait till I get a job so I can get satellite radio.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
GiftHorses said:
I'd rather hit those potholes with the CD changer than with the Trep!!! Unless the pothole is already filled with a small import car. I was looking for the Clarion decks when I was checking out the stuff at Best Buy, but they didn't have any. The reason I was trying to find them was because another member in an earlier post mentioned that the Clariou stuff was rated pretty good by Consumer Reports, thougn it may not have been the CD changers. Personally, I have never thought too highly of Clarion, but my experience with them is rather dated, and their quality may have improved since then. Did you put that puppy in by yourself, or did you have it installed??
I had it installed (because it was free). I had it hooked up to a Clarion tape deck (which was also installed for free). I absolutely LOVED that Clarion deck. I'm looking for a new deck for my 'Trep (CD deck) and the first brand I'm looking at is Clarion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmmmmm.... guess maybe I'll check a bit more for the Clarion equipment at some other places. I'm not in a real hurry, I did an inventory of my CD's over the (my) weekend. I found 3 of the 5 that I claim ownership of. (No pressing need here!!!) Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Satellite Radio, huh??? I think I'll start brushing up on my mike technique and my board work..unless one of the family wants do the the engineering portion of the broadcasts!! (sighhh, those were fun days)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts