DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried unplugging the IDE cable and plugging it back in, and i removed it in the Device Manager, rebooted, reinstalled. Still doesn't work. It has power, drawer opens and closes, it just won't recognise that there is a disc in there. In explorer if you double click on the drive i get a pop up asking to insert a disc. Has the drive simply died or is there something else i can try to bring it back to life?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Umm my guess is that either the laser may have gone bad or maybe the jumper settings are not set correctly? Is it on its own IDE cable or is it slaved with a HD or how exactly is it setup

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the same problem with my CDROM, I just kinda gave up on trying. My best bet with mine was the laser going bad, since it would read the CD maybe... 1 our of 150 times of opening and closing the drive and reposistioning the CD and what not. Your probably gonna have to pick up a new CDROM if this is the case for yours, it'll save you the hastle... hell get a external.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
considering that you can buy new 8x DVD+- writers (cd-r too) for about $45, how much time do you want to spend working on what is probably a dead drive?

Look for the Samsung Spinwriter drives.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried many different discs. It quit working about a week ago, i didn't really worry about it as i also have a dvd drive on the machine that reads regular cd's. I just wanted to have it running as i plan to change HD, memory and OS soon. Sounds like the easiest fix is going to be just to replace it. I've seen a bunch starting at $35.00 It is set up as it was when it left the factory.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
$35??? Call a local computer parts store, I bet they'll have used ones for less than $10. In fact, if I was you, I'd just make my DVD drive the main drive for now.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smc1377 said:
$35??? Call a local computer parts store, I bet they'll have used ones for less than $10. In fact, if I was you, I'd just make my DVD drive the main drive for now.
Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip! :bigok:

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip! :bigok:
No problem. Just that I ran into the same situation awhile back. My Master drive is a DVD-Rom drive and the slave one is a Samsung 16x DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer one that I picked up for $45. So when I, ummmmmm back-up movies, it's reading from one and writing to another so no need to watch it to swap DVD's etc.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the stupid thing shuts down half way through booting up. Glad we just got a laptop.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
That doesn't necessarily mean it's dead. I know some cd burning software, when installed can screw up the buffer information (not sure exactly what the fix was again) but my parent's cd rom had the same issue.. with looking ove the situation properly, I was able to go into the registry and undo the buffer changes that the crappy software did (forget the software name, begins with an A I believe) and it's been working fine for years. try that drive in a different computer. If it works there, it's a good drive, obviously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts