DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, a while ago i was getting a CEL, with codes 12, 43, and 55. i took it to autozone to get it scanned just to be sure, and they told me it was misfiring in cylinder 5, and that i needed new spark plugs, which made sense. the light comes on and off randomly, it will be on for a few days, then go away for a day or two, and come back, even after changing the plugs. I went back today and changed the spark plug wires, and it seems to have better power, but the light is still on.

I did the 3-key turn thing to check the codes, and came up with:

i am not sure on all of those, but i think thats what came up. I know while i was changing the plugs, i unplugged one of the sensors on the front of the engine so i could get the wires in and out, and forgot to plug it back in when i first started the engine after changing the wires. i went to drive it, and the CEL started flashing at me, so i took it right back home (i had barely gotten up the street, maybe 50 yards of total driving with it unplugged)

I am hoping that once i clear the computer, it will go away, and that the codes are just a result of the sensor being unplugged for a brief test drive. After i plugged it in, it ran fine, with a slight increase in power from the new wires (pretty sure it wasnt my imagination, it definately felt a little quicker)

for the record, the car is a 97 sport, with the 3.5L of course. I do not know when the last time the plugs and wires were changed, i just know that this is the first time i have changed them since i got the car with 49,000 miles on it, it now has 62,xxx miles.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
any sensor left unplugged will imediately set a code .after repairing the cause of the fault, the code will stay in memory until you've either started and driven it 50 times or reset 'puter by disconnecting the battery. Most people including myself disco the battery after repairs so we can see if the codes come back. keep in mind that disconnecting the battery will also reset the trans 'puter. trans will shift slightly less smoothly until it relearns how to. It may take a week of normal daily driving

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, ill reset it tomorrow at school and see if the codes come back. would driving hard while the tranny is learning how to shift do any harm? mine has autostick, and i am planning on going to edgewater (local drag strip) on friday to see how the trep runs, and to take on my friend in his talon who talks a lot of ****

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I read a post about retraining the trans (was actually written for a dodge dakota) at allpar.com. unfortunately I don't have a link to that post. It seemed too damn complicated for me to follow the whole procedure, so all I can tell you is what I actually did. Disco battery for about 10 minutes, reconnect it, start car and drive at a steady 45mph,lightly accelerate for at least 5 seconds,coast back down to 45, repeat this a few times, now accelerate moderately hard for at least 5 seconds and slow back down to about 45, and repeat this a few times, come to a stop and moderately accelerate to at least 50mph. after all of this I floored it from a stop up to about 90mph (probably wasn't neccessary but I couldn't resist) I did all this during the first engine start after battery reconnect. Then I drove it normaly on my daily drive to work for a week. I don't really know how much of this was neccessary. Having lightly traveled roads out in the boondocks is helpful. fortunately for me officer friendly did not see me. but my trans shifts very smoothly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i went out and disconnected the battery for a while, decided to clean out the IAC while it was clearing to waste time. i started it up, check engine light was gone, and it ran great. i turned the key 3 times, got a code 12, which is the battery disconnected, and 55, which i believe is the end code. i havent driven it yet (moved it into the garage from the driveway, but thats not enough to tell) so i will check it again later after i go somewhere and see if there are any new codes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts