DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys tried to pull the center tail light bar apart? I want to remove the lense from the housing. I'm going to attempt it but I just want to know if anybody has some ideas of something that works, or even something that doesn't work so I don't make the same mistake!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I made an attempt once. Once. I used a dremel to cut away the red...but there are some areas that are a PITA to cut through. Plus it was too big to fit in my oven so I couldn't do that. What exactly are you planning on doing?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to remove the red lense from the housing. I want to mount LEDs but what I want to do requires that I get inside the light.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I figure it is identical to the tailight housings. You can see the plastic or sonic weld on the bottom - you can't on the sides because of cosmetic plates and on top the lens curves over past the weld seam.

I got a bar and took my dremel and drilled holes all across the bottom seam about 3/16 apart(I know a lot!). That is as far as I've gotten. My next plan is to get/make an exacto tip for my sodering iron and cut/melt from hole to hole until the seam is seperated. Next was to remove the plates on the sides and repeat bottom procedure. Next was to figure out the top seam when I got to it

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I tossed around the idea of taking the reflector bar apart and doing a nice LED mod, but I've never really found a way to get it apart without destroying it. Keep us posted if you have any success!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In2Deep said:
I tossed around the idea of taking the reflector bar apart and doing a nice LED mod, but I've never really found a way to get it apart without destroying it. Keep us posted if you have any success!
I will, but what you guys have said is not very encouraging. I haven't taken a look at it up close because I don't have a spare yet, so I really don't have a plan of attack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts