DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Intrepid SE and it has about 52k on the clock. At about 49k a slight rattle started in my center stack when I went over bumps. Over the miles, it got increasingly louder. Does anybody know what it is?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
sway bar links!
jack the car up and see if there's any play in the front links. Also check the front lower control arms. Both off these tend too go bad quickly.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the center CONSOLE. the center STACK. the center stack is where the climate control, radio, and the storage bin is. The center console is between the two seats.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I realise... but I still couldn't resist.

I agree with Janithn, and it could also be steering rack mount bushings, inner tie rod bushings, and also the 'rag' joint in the steering shaft at the firewall. When cold, some times my car (as well as other discussed on the board) have had a clunking sound. Probably NOT what you are experiencing though.

Just like in all trouble shooting guides ("Problem - Machine won't power up: Solution - Is the power cord plugged in?"), could it be something that shifted in the glove box, and from the drivers seat it sounds like it is in the stack? Doubtfull since it has gone on for several thousand miles now, but worth a check.

Otherwise, I suspect it is a dash or component mount someplace behind the dash... A bolt that worked loose and is getting looser, if it isnt in the suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts