DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have heard that the brake fluid will last the life of your car. Bull ****. I found out some interesting information with stats that drove this point home today.

Honda and one or two other car dealers say to have your brake fluid changed every two years. All the other dealers say that it will last the life of your car. Well, the Bendix answerman keeps files on ABS complaints. For GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the other car dealers who say the fluid will last the life of your car, he has a book filled with hundreds of pages of complaints. For Honda and the couple others who say to change it every two years, there is only about five (yup, only about five) pages of complaints.

If you have a used car and/or plan to keep your car more than just a few years, have your brake fluid changed every two years or 30 thousand miles (whichever comes first). If you don't, you run the real risk of messing up the master cylinder. If you have ABS, the master cylinder can cost a couple of thousand of dollars to replace. It can't be fixed, but must be replaced.

I just thought I would pass on some info that I have learned to all you in hopes that it saves you some big money down the road.

·
9,861 Posts
Is there any specific brake fluid that you recomend? I've heard that oem ford stuff is accually pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The last I heard the Ford stuff wasn't all it used to be. Personally, I keep mine changed every 12 months. Typically I use Prestone DOT 4 from Wal*Mart. It's pretty reasonably priced, but the DOT 3 stuff in the really big bottle is cheaper. The difference is basically just the boiling point.

Another brand that is supposed to be good that I may switch to when I run out of the stock I have now is ATE Super Blue. He runs it in his dedicated autox car. One of the cool things about it is that it comes in two colors. That way you can alternate at changes and know when the old is out of the system... ;)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tx2002intrep said:
Can you do a brake system flush (non-ABS) yourself, or is it preferred to take it to a shop and have it professionally done?

Dave

You can do a non-ABS system flush yourself.

You could do a ABS system flush yourself, but most people don't have the proper equipment or expertise to do it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Can DOT 5 be run in our cars?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
So does having or not having ABS make any difference in brake fluid life?

None of the cars I've ever owned had ABS.... and I never had the brake fluid changed in any of them... and never had a problem.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Most synthetic brake fluids (DOT 5 and above I think) are typically not compatible with DOT3/4. This means you need to flush the entire system and often times replace any rubber or plastic hoses in the system because they absorb a certain amount of the fluid. Honestly, a street car shouldn't need anything more than DOT3...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Warlord187 said:
You may have heard that the brake fluid will last the life of your car. Bull ****. I found out some interesting information with stats that drove this point home today.

Honda and one or two other car dealers say to have your brake fluid changed every two years. All the other dealers say that it will last the life of your car. Well, the Bendix answerman keeps files on ABS complaints. For GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the other car dealers who say the fluid will last the life of your car, he has a book filled with hundreds of pages of complaints. For Honda and the couple others who say to change it every two years, there is only about five (yup, only about five) pages of complaints.

If you have a used car and/or plan to keep your car more than just a few years, have your brake fluid changed every two years or 30 thousand miles (whichever comes first). If you don't, you run the real risk of messing up the master cylinder. If you have ABS, the master cylinder can cost a couple of thousand of dollars to replace. It can't be fixed, but must be replaced.

I just thought I would pass on some info that I have learned to all you in hopes that it saves you some big money down the road.
I had a 91 Stealth ES with ABS and a leaking master cylinder it cost (sit down) $7,000.00CDN to replace. That was the day I topped up the fuild and traded it in on my 98 Intrepid(got $11,500 for a 7 year old car with 150,000KM and a leakin master cylinder(must be that resale red)).

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The best way to flush the system is to get a hydraulic system bleeding tool like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38053

There are much better ones out there this is just an example of one. You can also do it with a friend or with "Speed Bleeders" by using the brake pedal. Start with the rears and then do the fronts, keeping the resevior full of new fluid and the cap on. With two people it usually doesn't take me more than a about an hour but that usually includes some other brake work as well...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dbaudiopro said:
The best way to flush the system is to get a hydraulic system bleeding tool like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38053

There are much better ones out there this is just an example of one. You can also do it with a friend or with "Speed Bleeders" by using the brake pedal. Start with the rears and then do the fronts, keeping the resevior full of new fluid and the cap on. With two people it usually doesn't take me more than a about an hour but that usually includes some other brake work as well...

Just a note....if you have ABS, than you most likely will need a scan tool to cycle the ABS solenoids.

There are about 32 different ways to bleed the brakes on domestic cars. Which way to bleed the brakes on the Trep I have no idea. But, there isn't just one universal way to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Does the brake fluid still in the store bought container go bad as well?

·
980 Posts
creepingdeath said:
Does the brake fluid still in the store bought container go bad as well?
I think the main problem is moisture contamination, sealed containers should not have this problem although I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts