DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was changing my oil today and looking at the checklist for 15,000 mile maintenance in the owners manual. One of the things you are supposed to do (under schedule-b) is change the differential fluid at 15,000 miles. So, me being the non-mechanic that I am, take the car over to 2KWK4U's so he can see where to change this fluid. He has no idea where there is a place to drain or fill the differential. I guess on his GTP the differential and tranny run on the same fluid. Has anyone changed their differential fluid, if so where is the drain for it and where do you fill it up?

On a side note, It looks like my tranny is leaking some gook out of the passenger side drive shaft area. Got quite a large build up of black gook on the casing there, so I guess I need to call the dealer and get it in for a look.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come one, anyone change or have their differential fluid changed???

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
never heard of it - if they did it it was without my knowledge .

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i dunno...
but i do need to pick up some red taillight oil myself.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is messed up, it's in there at 15,000, 48,000 and 96,000 miles. Guess I can try talking to mechanic at the dealership, but I dont want to pay them to do it, if it's something as simple as a drain and a fill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Front wheel drive cars have transaxles. The differential and transmission are the same. The fluid is menat to last the life of the car under normal driving. If you follow the severe conditions then follow the regular change intervals. Transmission oil changes are a pain. You have to drop the tranny pan. Easy if you have a lift. Messy if you are crawling under the car. Personally I would pay the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
shadow1 -sorry dude but the LH cars do have two separate oils ,one auto trans and one axle oil.The drain for the diff is on the right gear case close to were the right half shaft comes out .You will see a plastic tag hanging off the drain plug bolt that says fill with diff oil. the bottom of the gear case also has a drain plug to drain the diff oil.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: ottowrkr ]

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had mine changed. I was up visiting my inlaws when time for oil change was due. I always change it myself when I'm at home but I take it to the dealer when out of town. Anyway, I too saw the differential fluid change under Schedule B.
I asked the dealer how much...$70, so I said go ahead.
I probably wouldn't have had it changed had I already not been at the a dealership for oil change.
I too thought it was an odd change interval. I figured that DCX would want any debris that was generated under severe service and a car not "broken in" for the 15K miles service.
Money to burn :D ...probably won't have it done again unless I'm at the dealership for something else.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks OTTO. Do I have to get the fluid from a dealer, or is it something that is sold at a parts store?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
for my '96 it is just gear lube.. like 75W-90 or something it says on the side of the diff.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
you can pick it up at the dealer or parts store, your choice. Just look at the tag on the fill nut and use what it calls for.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just hope the fluid build up on the outside of the casing isnt differential fluid. Is there an easy way of checking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts