DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my trans fluid in 20 mins! How? with a Topside oil changer! They're made to change oil in boats (there's no way to get a drain pan under most inboard engines) (Atually, I prefer the Tempo brand) Go on down to your local marine store and buy a topside oil changer. No local marine store? Check out overtons, ski limited, boat US (they all have web sites) Then suck the fluid out of the dipstick tube.

If you want to do a thorough job (clean the pan & change the filter) you can suck out the fluid first - then you dont get a bath when you pull the pan. dont forget to clean the magnet and put it back in! (I "lost" the magnet in a rag once and forgot to put it back in. The queen found it after I had bolted up the pan...)

I admit, I alternate, changing the fluid one time, then next time changing everything.

Remember, the only fluid to use is ATF+4 !!! (I use it in both my 1st gen & 2nd gen) My brother has a 96; drives it like he stole it, has 90K+ on it, and has never had a trans issue!

Now, go change your fluid!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Great idea to save the mess but I'd still remove the pan afterwards and change the filter.
Cleaning the junk off the bottom of the pan and replacing the filter is probably just as important if not more important than changing the fluid.

ATF+4 and change that differential fluid once in a while.

·
Registered
562 Posts
03SXTgangsta said:
Where do you guys get the Mopar anti-foam tranny fluid?
Buy it at any dodge dealer ship.
As for the replacing just the fluid, that is similiar to the "transmission service" most shops will give you. They just take out the old and add the new. So if you take it in to get done make sure you let them know you want the pand cleaned and the filter changed.

·
9,861 Posts

·
9,861 Posts
I just bought a fluid hand pump for $12 at autozone. I'm waiting for my car to cool down before trying it out.

ATF 4+ was about $30 for a gallon. I bought 2 gallons and 1 quart. Total was $70 something.

But this will only be the fluid in the pan, so I will probably only use a gallon or a little more.

Late last year I had the pan droped, half the fluid changed, and the filter changed. If I hadnt of, I would be droping the pan and changing the filter this time. A clean filter is very important.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid about $35 for a topsider years ago. I recently sold it to a friend and bought a better one for about 50. But I justified it 'cause I maintain a lot of cars and also use it for my boat.

·
9,861 Posts
Worked great. But it was pretty messy. If anyone wants to do this, do it in the grass in old clothes.

I got about 1.1-1.2 gallons out. Seemed kind of dark. I think I'll be doing this again next month sometime.

·
9,861 Posts
Update:
I poured 1 Gallon, and 1.5 quarts in. Tranny loves the new fluid.

I poured some of the left over .5 quart into a clear pop can to compare it to the other fluid. The old fluid is black. The new fluid is bright red. And remeber, I just had half the fluid changed a few months ago. I guess I'm really going to keep changing it like this on a regular basis (maybe once-twice a year).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Change the trans & diff fluid at 46k? Definitely! I recommend trans fluid changes every 30K on cars that aren't known to have trans probs. With Chryslers' (unfortunate) history with variants of the ultradrive transmission, maybe more often! It's cheap insurance, considering a trans rebuild runs over 2K. Same schedule for the diff. I drive over 30K miles a year, do a lot of towing (ok - not with my trep; but I towed a boat alot with my LeBaron) and have never had a trans problem. I usually put over 150,000 miles on a car/truck before passing it on....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts