DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've got the good ol' 3.5, and I wanna change my fuel filter, can anyone give me an idea as to price of a new fuel filter, and how to do it? Im still in the process of learning all these mechanical things on cars so I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here's a How To:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

The fuel filter mounts to the frame rail in front of the fuel tank. The inlet and outlet ends of the filter are marked for installation purposes.

Relieve the fuel system pressure.

Raise and safely support the vehicle then locate the filter.

Fig. 1: The fuel filter mounts to the frame rail in front of the fuel tank

Fig. 2: Raise and safely support the vehicle then locate the filter

Fig. 3: Unbolt the filter from the bracket

Disengauge the quick connect fittings from the filter. Refer to Fuel System for procedures.

Remove the filter mounting bracket, then the filter.

Fig. 4: Disconnect the fuel inlet and outlet lines from the filter

To install:

The inlet and outlet sides of the filter are marked, install the filter with the inlet side to the fuel tank.

Place the filter into the bracket. Place the bracket against the frame rail, tighten the mounting screw to 110 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

Apply a light coat of clean 30 weight engine oil to the fuel filter nipples. Install the fuel lines.

Lower the vehicle.

Start the engine and check for leaks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, very nice how to, but how do i go about relieving fuel pressure :p i know i probably shouldnt be considering doing this unless i know how to relieve the pressure but i need to learn eventually. Also do you have any estimate on price of the filter? if I get a typical price then i can guess at how much work is gonna charge me for one :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Japy said:
awesome, very nice how to, but how do i go about relieving fuel pressure :p i know i probably shouldnt be considering doing this unless i know how to relieve the pressure but i need to learn eventually. Also do you have any estimate on price of the filter? if I get a typical price then i can guess at how much work is gonna charge me for one :p

Loosen the gas cap on your car and make sure you haven't driven your car for a couple of hours,if at all.Also,disconnect the negative battery cable before you do the filter change;it's an important safety precaution.As far as price,Autozone has them for around $12.00-13.00.Check around your local auto stores and do a price comparison.Hope this helps and good luck... :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
there's a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the front of the engine, you can ue a screwdriver in the same way yu let air out of a tire, jsut use a rag to catch the fuel, or you can always just unplug the fuel pump relay while the car is running t relive the pressure, fuel filter will run you about $10 at AZ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts