DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a how-to or general directions? I looked in the FSM and Haynes, and they don't have any details. They don't even tell you the amounts of power steering fluid to use. I want to change mine and use synthetic fluid to help quiet the pump.

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I took one of those big needles from walmart that can be used to extractor fluid from things like the power steering resevoir and drew out the old fluid

Then I replaced the fluid with new stuff , my car was atf3 , but i used cand tire universal power steering fluid , which gave the wheel a more GM feel , ie it's more risistant to turning than the Mopar fluid

I did this a few times like tranny fluid till it was all clear
The pump and steering works better now :notify:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Matt86 said:
Anyone have a how-to or general directions? I looked in the FSM and Haynes, and they don't have any details. They don't even tell you the amounts of power steering fluid to use. I want to change mine and use synthetic fluid to help quiet the pump.

Thanks
According to Bulletin # 19-005-03, your 1995 Dodge Intrepid uses PS fluid MS5931, which is a amber/yellow color.

The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart).

MS9602 (also known as ATF+4) is red in color and should NOT be used as a top off for systems requiring MS5931.

I can't seem to find the volume amount though.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I just used a turkey baster, sucked up most of the old fluid out of the resevoir,and then filled it back up with the new. Then I ran the engine, and turn the wheels to get the fluid to run in the system. Then sucked that fluid out with the baster, and filled it back up agian with new. I did this few times to get the fluid to run clear. She took about 4 Qts. doing it this way, but the fluid that used to be in there was dark, now see runs clear, so I know I got all the old stuff out of the system.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Can I use synthetic power steering fluid, like Amsoil or valvoline? Or should I just use the Mopar stuff? I used some Ford Synthetic power steering fluid in my Sable, and it made it a lot more quiet. Infact, its more quiet than the Intrepid!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Hopefully I can do this on Thursday after a junkyard run. I'm not sure what the reaction of the clerk at the store will be when I bring up four quarts of power steering fluid and a turkey baster :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Matt86 said:
Oh, and while im doing this, should I leave the engine running when removing and adding fluid?
No, you don't want to run the system low on fluid. Just suck it out, put the new in, then run her. Then shut her off then do it all over again till you get the fluid in her to be clear, even after she's been running for awhile.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, I did strongt's way, and it worked pretty good. It took about an hour. I bought four quarts, although I could have used five to make the fluid perfecly clear. I might get two more quarts tomorow and finish it. The fluid went from looking like this:

to this

Then after one more time, it was pretty clear.

The pump is much more quiet than it was before, but it's not totally silent. There is still a bit of whine, but it beats the whine it had before. Now I think the Sable's power steering it a bit louder, thats the way it should be :)

Big ol' bucket of no bueno:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strongt said:
Man ! Your fluid was pretty black ! Mine wasn't that bad, maybe thats why its taking more fluid then what mine took.
Pretty black? It WAS black. At least on the first suck full. Right now its a very light amber color, almost yellow. On the dipstick its clear. I'll pick up two quarts tomorow.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Matt86 said:
Pretty black? It WAS black. At least on the first suck full. Right now its a very light amber color, almost yellow. On the dipstick its clear. I'll pick up two quarts tomorow.
Yeah, looks like old motor oil. It's good to change the fluid every so often I think. The fluid in the the P/S system get's pretty hot.

Reactions: Matt86

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the car for a test drive. the steering feels the same. I still hear a whine when accelerating, but it's not as bad as it was before, and not as loud as the sable. I can live with a little whine. I'm guessing if I change the rest of the fluid, it's still going to whine. I got most of the gunk out of there. Before, the old fluid was nasty, burnt and thick. The stuff in it is really light. As long as its working and not leaking ;)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This morning, I removed and added two more quarts. The fluid is almost clear, still has a slight amber tint to it. There is still a bit of whine to the pump. I saw this stuff today at Big Lots called Slick 50 power steering additive. Supposed to quiet pumps. I'm weary of any additive, espacally when sold at a discount store. But is there some reccomeded additive I should add to help quiet the pump? Or should I just leave it and find something else to fix on my car?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've been thinking about flushing out the steering fluid on my car since I've never done it. I had a new rack installed in '02, but the car is a '93. Should I flush the steering system? Is there is high-end synthetic power steering fluid available?

since I will be changing the differential and tranny fluids next week? thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
And after reading I found out that Valvoline stopped making their synthetic ps fluid. Does anybody out there recommend a synthetic fluid? b/c I hate how the power steering works on very cold mornings and I'm sure synthetic fluid would work better.

I've been reading that many people use Mobil 1 ATF in their power steering systems ie BMW. Is this OK b/c I would do that.

I found this red line ps fluid

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3346

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.