DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2001 SE that I've had for 3 years now and I love it! Glad to find a forum for this car. Now, on to the problem, it's a simple one, but it has me stumped. I can't find the plug to drain the oil. I've always brought it in for the service cause I've had no time to do it myself. So I've looked everywhere for it, no dice. You'd think it would be at the bottom of the oil pan, but it isn't. Help!

Thanks

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
is it a 2.7 or a 3.5?? if its a 2.7 its next to the oil filter,, 3.5 or 3.2 its on the right side of the oil pan
becare if its a 2.7 do not over tighten!!! listen to the voice of experance!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Bottom of the pan, on the passenger side (same side as the oil filter), can't miss it. If you can find the oil filter, then you can find the drain plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, so much for that, I can't get the bolt off :mad: I broke two sockets trying to get it off. Whoever put it on last time deserves to be hung by his nads :2up:

Thanks again guys :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
PapaBear said:
Well, so much for that, I can't get the bolt off :mad: I broke two sockets trying to get it off. Whoever put it on last time deserves to be hung by his nads :2up:

Thanks again guys :beerchug:
One thing that would be worth a try, is with engine at full operating temp try to break it loose before it cools down. If that works then just wait till it cools down to actually remove the plug. Do not put the plug back in until engine is completely cooled down. Any one can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe aluminum (hole in pan) expands at a higher rate than steel (drain plug). Also if it works, post back,then we'll both know.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
dont mess with it. take it back were you went last, tell them to crack it loose.

i work at lube stop i see this alot

usually its real easy to get out. and ask for a plug it should be a 14 mm. correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, applied some vice grips and with some serious muscle, it finally broke loose.
Thanks again for all your advice guys :beerchug:

·
Registered
494 Posts
its definitely ALOT easier when the engine is hot...never done it cold except once and it was a ***** to get the plug off...I would think hot would be better anyhow since the oil would be thinner and more would come out faster???? At least that is how my mind works...ya, its hotter under the car, ya it might burn a little if it splashes, but its my way! lol...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
PapaBear said:
Well, I am mechanically inclined, so yeah, I turned it the right way
Wait...you're mechanically inclined, but couldn't find the drain plug? LOL! :moon2:

Hehe! Just messing with ya! :biggrin: Welcome aboard the forums!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts