DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct way to change my trans oil? My plan is to use some of that B&M quick shift synthetic oil. What do I scrape the inside of the oil pan with. I also need another gasket right??? :confused: :p :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes you'll need a new gasket, also get the MOPAR tranny filter > not the aftermarket one. And also as the earlier posts state " Use MOPAR ATF+3 " Any other questions about it you should try "allpar.com" and it has a wealth of info on the tranny stuff.

Does that help ?? :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have always taken mine to the garage for a tranny flush. Changing it yourself only gets half of the fluid out as the rest is stuck in the Torque Converter. Well worth the money. Cost about a $100.00.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone heard of some additive that allows you to use dextron and the additive adds the rest of the lubricants needed to bring it up to the mopar stuff. Got my tranny drained near pontiac and this additive was used. Seems to be running fine but I took addvantage of some 94 octane while I was over there and she screemed all the way home. My mechanic said that the tranny oil and pan where spotless and he wondered why I changed it. Far as I knew it was the original stuff. That makes me feel good cause I've heard so much about these transmissions and mostly not so good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You might as well get a new filter to.

Some tips for doing it yourself.

1. Put it up on car ramps.

2. Loosen the back corner bolts first, do not take them all the way out, just a few turns.

3. Loosen all the bolts on the back, about 4 turns. Then loosen the bolts going towards the front of the car, alternating sides. Then loosen the front ones, only about 1 turn out. The trans fluid should start to flow out of the back. If you take all the bolts out, you will have fluid all over the place, very messy! As the fluid stops flowing, loosen the bolts in the same pattern. After most of the fluid is out, then hold the pan level with one hand, and take all the bolts out.

4. Replace the filter. (Comes with instructions.)

5. Wipe the magnet off to get rid of all the metal flakes, and clean it off. I usually use brake cleaner, since it dries almost instantly.

6. Replace gasket, and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I wouldn't use that Dextron addetive stuff. My moms 3.3L '95 grand caravan took a dump 10K miles after we had the tranny flushed with the stuff. When my dad took the tranny into get it flushed the first time, the fluid was still the bright red that good fluid is supposed to be, but we had just purchased the vehicle, so we thought it a good idea. when it died, there was metal flakes all over the inside of the pan, and the tranny was dead.

Only use ATF+3, Mopar Brand!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Originally posted by Lafrad:
I wouldn't use that Dextron addetive stuff.

Only use ATF+3, Mopar Brand!
absolutely. don't bother with shitty additives like that. bite the bullet and get the genuine mopar tranny fluid, then you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
you can't get it out just by changing. Some people do a 'double change'. drop pan, change oil, put pan up, fill up, drive around for a little, drop pan, change filter put pan back up, fill up, and yer good. that gets about 70% of all the old fluid out. I have just gone to dropping the pan once a year, (every 11 or 12K) and changin half the fluid. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As long as you dont put **** in your tranny oil, then you should not need a tranny flush if you change the fluid every year. Actually, I was told by a tranny mechanic of a big american trany company, forget the name, that they dont reccommend flushes, and that once a year was fine. What I would recomend is using Mopar brand filter and tranny oil. And what is everyone talking about a gasket for? There is no gasket. All it is, is a special kind of silicone seal. Ask the guys at the mopar parts counter, they will give you a tube of the stuff. Make sure you clean off the tranny oil pan well, so the new silicone will stick to it...and give the magnet a good cleaning as well.....it should have a LITTLE bit of metal on it, but if there is a lot, or the pieces are big, thats a sign of future tranny troubles.

I would also recommend getting some tranny anti-foaming additive as well. I put some in my tranny last week and it works great. It takes a lot of the slush out of our trannys, and it shifts better with less power loss. Mopar parts will have the stuff. I put two of the little tiny bottles in....might put one more in next week. It will take a few days to notice the diff..

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I got a Pan Gasget:p I went and got it aftermarket, because i didn't really trust the straight up silicone seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts