DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok with my intrepid gone ive decided to get a Charger R/T. Looking for a 2008 model, but im not sure if i want the RWD or the AWD. What do you all think, RWD or AWD? Also i believe someone once told me that the AWDs can be selected to be in RWD but i havent found anything on it so im not sure.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
LX forums is the best place to ask that question.

Great place loads of info on all models and mods.

Awd means all wheel drive ....all the time!

Most who go that way love it1

Not hearing complaints with rwd either with esp and traction controll etc...auotstick allows a second gear start out as well i'm told so traction shouldn'y be a proplem...

But if you love to "play "in the snow...rwd is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x2 AWD is amazing. I love RWD but it sucks in the winter, plus imo RWD is ment for truck and muscle cars.
Are you saying that a 5.7L HEMI Charger is not a muscle car?:eek: lol

I almost forgot how much fun i have in a snow covered parking lot. Probably will go with the RWD with the traction control, just for the fun of sliding around. I got over a year and a half til i can seriously start to look .

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
yeah in ohio, stick with awd. traction control does nothing if the rear wheels are on ice and have no traction.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
In the snow, sure in a dead heat acceleration comparison AWD will be better but that is all.
It's slower, harder on fuel, more to buy, more $$$ to fix and maintain, heavier.

So you have to ask yourself. Is all that worth it for 10 days or so of pushing through the snow. I also live in the snow belt. Between the days it snows and the roads have not been plowed. So far 3 days have been slightly challenging.

Rear wheel drive and snow tires is adequate for most areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
AWD is nice, but not a must. At least in Central Ohio, most of the major roadways are clear within a day or two to make the added benefit of AWD not necessary. I drove my 528i with no issues in winter and heavy snows.

I have an Audi A4 Quattro which is absolutely brilliant on snow. The biggest draw backs to an AWD car is the fuel economy. Expect about 2-3 less mpg and slightly less acceleration. But, it is amazing when you can drive your car though 15" of unplowed snow on all seasons without getting stuck!

Based on my experience, my preference would most to go with the RWD car whenever it is an possible, then AWD, and regretfully FWD if it is the only option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess i forgot to update my profile. I live in West Virginia now. Snows not really a problem its more of an inch of snow turning to ice. Although if i do get a Charger i'll be moving into Cleavland for college.

However right now the replacement for my intrepid is a KIA Sephia. and with the gas milage on the HEMIs not so great ill be keeping it for the four cylinder, that and it does good on snow. Quite a suprising car, bought it two hours after a blew a trans line in the trep and got tired of all its problems and its better than i thought.

So with all things considered i will be getting the RWD. Next problem is buy an 08 and leave it stock for a while or get an older one and get a supercharger for it?

Thanks eveyone for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts