DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I go from my Firebird to my Trep and there is such a night and day difference in braking that it has me wondering if my brakes are even working properly on the Trep. My question is, has anyone upgraded your Trep braking systems? Like I'm thinking along the lines of finding a junked 300M and buying the 300M brakes for $100 with all the junk except the lines. Not to say 300M brakes are better, but this is the type of swap/upgrade I was thinking about. Are there other direct swap calipers and such that I could find at a junk yard or someplace really cheap?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
ACR did a 300M brake conversion. He has a post/how-to somewhere's around here...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Better pads, like ceramics. And also slotted rotors. If you got to 300M brakes you need to get a steering knuckle too to accomodate....something. ACR has a how to. Have your brake lines bled and replace all the fluid you can with new fluid.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Jer_BEAR_bluez said:
Better pads, like ceramics. And also slotted rotors. If you got to 300M brakes you need to get a steering knuckle too to accomodate....something. ACR has a how to. Have your brake lines bled and replace all the fluid you can with new fluid.

Just because a pad is a ceramic pad, doesn't mean it will make your car stop better.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Does anyone make stainless steel brake lines for 1st Gen's? I too went from driving a sporty car (Dodge Avenger with stainless steel lines/3000GT conversion) to this family car and it would be nice to get back alittle of that nice braking.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nobody make steel brake line. Russel brake line can make custom brake line if you send your old brake line to Russel. I had installed on my car stainless brake line coming from a 2004 PT cruiser with ABS. It not a 'bolt on' kit. If you whant to see pics clik on my photo gallery.

·
Banned
292 Posts
How about swapping rear drums for disks? Aside from rotors I can get all brake parts off of junkyard cars.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you just want to have good stopping without a lot of work, I've had good luck with Hawk HPS pads on new Aimco (basic) rotors. I do a lot of stop and go, and never had a problem with bed in or warping. The Hawks provide very good stopping, better than I was used to. I greased the hell out of all the guide pins and backs of the pads with synthetic brake lubricant too. Nice set up. With this setup it's easy to just change out new rotors every time you need pads. They are only about $30 apiece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts