DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from walmart and saw this:

Torin Big Red 2-ton hydraulic jack and stands + 2 things to block the wheels for $40 canadian (= $32 US)

Cheapest place where I had seen a similar setup was Canadian Tire for $60.

It's a good deal i guess if you need one. I'm thinking of getting it.

As well, noticed that the car section carried alot of stuff that i hadn't been able to find at local hardware store or canadian tire, like 1000-2000 grit sandpaper, polishing and rubbing compound (to clean the headlights), carb cleaner, thread locker.

The only downside to shopping at walmart for car stuff is that you're gonna have to walk by those spinning hub caps for $40.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I bought a jack & stands from them last summer. The brand is AC Delco, got it for 40$. Haven't used it yet, but it a good deal IMO.......I buy some cleaning stuff from them sometimes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah, the set's pretty decent, we bought 3 of them. My only complaint was the little tire block things were kinda cheesy, and they bend if the car rolls back into them very hard

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought something similar from Auto Zone for around the same price. The jack is great but the two wheel stoppers were kinda tiny.
That price is still a good deal though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PimpSummit said:
hey how high does the jack lift up??
i just tried the jack, and i'm probably gonna bring it back.

tried to lift the front wheels, they barely got 1 inch off the ground. as well, the stands don't fit very well at the spot where i'd use the regular jack.

worst thing, after the car is lifted with the jack, and the stands are under, its very hard to get the jack to lower slowly. there's a little knob your supposed to turn to relieve pressure, i turned it as gently as i could, but the car still dropped a little too quickly for me.

maybe its me, after all this is the first time i've used one of these, but i think this one sucks...

lift for jack is 14 1/2 inches, the stands rise 16 inches.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
yea, the jack sucks, can't even lift the car high enough to fit the jack stands below it, but its a good deal none-the-less, jack, 2 stands, 2 wheel chocks and a 36 inch creeper

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Man... the last thing I want to go cheap on is something that is gonna hold a 2 ton car or van above my head, especially when trying to break off that last damn bolt with a breaker bar.

-Brandon

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I got a 2.5 ton hydraulic rolling jack from Costco for like $60. It's better than the multi-hundred dollar jacks from Sears.

The jack stands I got were $80 for the pair, but they are 5 ton wide base aluminum stands. I got them from a warehouse that services the local shops.

I'm not sure how the Walmart ones are so I can't compare. But Walmart is the devil. :devil:

·
Registered
347 Posts
worst thing, after the car is lifted with the jack, and the stands are under, its very hard to get the jack to lower slowly. there's a little knob your supposed to turn to relieve pressure, i turned it as gently as i could, but the car still dropped a little too quickly for me.
You do NOT want to be using that jack :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jacks and axle stands two things you always want to spend a little more on then less. What is it worth to you to be under a car that might fall on you?

That is my rule of thumb

:icon_evil

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I have "Mack" brand Walmart jack and stands.........$35 for everything and I love them ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
SeanQC said:
i just tried the jack, and i'm probably gonna bring it back.

tried to lift the front wheels, they barely got 1 inch off the ground. as well, the stands don't fit very well at the spot where i'd use the regular jack.

maybe its me, after all this is the first time i've used one of these, but i think this one sucks...

lift for jack is 14 1/2 inches, the stands rise 16 inches.
thanks for the info. I want something to lift my car a little higher than getting the front tires barely and inch off the ground

1 - 14 of 14 Posts