DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 3.3 engine.
Had a check engine light, replaced both 02 sensors and had light reset. some time later the check light returned. Weny to Autozone and replace another 02 sensor. The light illuminated again. Returned to Autozone and went to Advanced Auto, found no code and had light reset. Soon the light came back on and it has been on for sometime. Made trip to Florida and Pennsylvania with no adverse problems.
The light sometime flickers and is driving my wife crazy. Any ideas? Where is the computer at? I plan on unpluging the computer and cleaning off the plugs and put it back together.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris Woods
Semper FI.
Havelock, NC

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So, have you replaced ALL the O2 sensors? There are 4, two upstream and 2 downstream. If you have I would check the wiring to the sensors. Did you install universal sensors, where you had to cut wires and splice? I have the same year and enigne and had similar problem and it turned out to be a wiring problem. What codes are you getting? Good luck Oh, I believe the computer is located underneath the airbox(passenger side of the car).

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
You can check the codes yourself doing the following:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (MIL)

Cycle the ignition key to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON within 5 seconds.

Count the number of times the MIL (check engine light) on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate the individual two digit trouble code.

An example of a flashed DTC is as follows:

Lamp flashes 4 times, pauses, and then flashes 6 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 46.

Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, then flashes 5 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 55. A DTC of 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This indicates the end of all stored codes.

Do this and tell us what codes come up. And you can reset the computer by just disconnecting the batt. for a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts