DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got my trep back after having bought it and two weeks later getting it backed into by some woman and then having it in the shop for 3 weeks...

same day i pick it up, the MIL light comes on with P0401...

Anyone know what would be causing this? I know it's something to do with the EGR valve, but the code reference is vague in the description of what's cuasing the problem!

Any more detailed info how to fix this? Can i just clean out the EGR valve??

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
its EGR system failure. Maybe you need to replace the EGR Valve??? what kind of engine do you have?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
P0401 EGR Flow insufficient. sounds like the passages for the egr are partially blocked, or the egr isn't opening properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
piggyfinndude said:
it's a 3.2L
So maybe i should try cleaning it out then? Anyone ever do this?
I am working on this problem on my Ford at the present time. There is a section in Haynes that describes a few tests you can perform to determine the cause of the P0401.

One of 3 things can be the source.

1. EGR Value won't hold a vacuum.
2. EGR Solenoid is defunct.
3. EGR Backpressure sensor giving faulty results.

The first one is the most common and can be tested by applying a vacuum to the EGR Value. (I stuck a tube and sucked on it - to see if the vacuum disappated. It maintained a vacuum)

The next test, was to make sure the solenoid got power by checking for battery power with the switch in the on position but not started. It had power for me. The third was to check resistance of the solenoid - on a Ford it was expected to be 20 Ohms. I got 35 Ohms. Hmmm...

I know this was the process for my Ford - I would think it would be similar with a Dodge Intrepid. Take a look at a Haynes manual and it may have a process to check.

While the most common reason is the EGR Value - the store was ready to sell me a $52 EGR Value based solely on the Code and playing the odds. Haynes describes a process to CLEAN the EGR Value so you may not need to purchase a new one if the valve is bad.

-Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks! either i'm going crazy or the gas mileage is CRAP since this code has been recorded.

definately gotta do something bout that this weekend! yee-haw for long week-ends!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
You're not crazy. The EGR valve will impact your mileage. Since you've noticed a drop in mileage, you definately have a problem. Every now and again an EGR code pops up on my '01 (P0406), but goes away after a few restarts so I chaulked mine up to a phantom thing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, not one of mine, but I've done a search and found one of another member's and it looks the same. Base is all rusty and probably impossible to get off without the jaws of life or something....

My code has since turned into that of Froggy81500's: P0406 and is comes and goes with every couple of restarts. It's been doing that since i sprayed some carb cleaner somehow in one of it's tubes....I think.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
piggyfinndude said:
Well i finally got my trep back after having bought it and two weeks later getting it backed into by some woman and then having it in the shop for 3 weeks...

same day i pick it up, the MIL light comes on with P0401...

Anyone know what would be causing this? I know it's something to do with the EGR valve, but the code reference is vague in the description of what's cuasing the problem!

Any more detailed info how to fix this? Can i just clean out the EGR valve??

Thanks for all the help guys!

i had the same problem when i bought the car. check engine light was on. i got a new egr from autozone and payed the shop to put it in.. if i dont get you the price from autozone for it and the price for the shop to put it on tonite, ill post it tomorrow.

i noticed smoother idle and acceleration, and better gas mileage after getting it replaced.

you can take it off and clean it, but i didnt want to mess with trying to get that thing off and back on.

lemme go see if the reciept ziplock baggie is in the house or in the car...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
egr valve for 3.2 at autozone was $166.99
i had a bunch of repairs done the same time they replaced it, and the hourly labor wasnt itemized as i got a quote for everything...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts